Author Topic: BT Infinity -v- Virgin  (Read 3602 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
BT Infinity -v- Virgin
« on: 04 October, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »
I am currently with Virgin and enjoy excellent broadband speeds via their fibre optic system. However, they are getting a bit pricey and I am considering switching to BT infinity.

I currently get my landline, a medium tv package and broadband from Virgin, but getting virtually the same package from BT would be ten quid a month cheaper, plus I would get BT sports thrown in too.

The only downside I can see will be if my broadband speed is affected. Does anyone have any experience with BT Infinity? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Belplasca

• Follower
Re: BT Infinity -v- Virgin
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
Have a look at this thread:

http://www.digikeep.com/forum/threads/first-look-at-the-virgin-media-sh3.658/#post-4517

It's on a forum that I've been a member of for over thirty years - yes, it started long before the internet... Steve, posting in the thread, is a personal friend and is very clued up about telecoms and connectivity...

Bob
Blanka (my partner) has signed up on a challenge to help the Marie Curie Hospice in Hampstead.

Help her at http://www.justgivin...lanka-Rathauska

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
I have had BT Infinity for about a year now and have not had any issues. 
I've attached a couple of speed tests I carried out just now, SpeedTest 1was done with a server in this country, SpeedTest 2 was carried out with a server in the USA, just to give you an idea of download/upload speeds.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »
BT are the most wholly, completely, completely and uttererly useless and customer unfriendly organisation on the planet (although Al Qaida might come a close second!) 

For example I write them a letter about their wrong bill.  They do not reply for months  <bashy2>so I 'phone them and they do not answer for an hour <bashy2>.  So I e-mail them to ask why they do not answer the phone to explain why they don't answer the mail.  They reply to the e-mail with an automated e-mail saying we presume your enquiry has been resolved but if not send another e-mail to the same address <bashy2>

As I presume you value your sanity more than £10 per month, I suggest staying well clear of BT.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
 <bashy2> :bashy: I had a landline with BT and Broadband with Orange which used BT phone lines. When I moved from my flat to the flat upstairs I asked Orange to move my Broadband to the new flat, just one flight of stairs away. They told me it would take fifteen days to complete the work. Fifteen days later I phoned from the shop down stairs to ask why I was not connected. They replied it would take fifteen days. After fifteen days had passed, I again asked why I was not connected. Again I was told it would take fifteen days. I then asked what the problem was. Orange said it was a problem at BT's end. When I phoned BT, they said that they had not received an order from Orange. This went on for three months! As I already had a Virgin cable connection in my new flat, I decided to go with Virgin and get rid of BT and Orange in one go. When I told Orange I was going to change my provider to Virgin, guess what. Orange connected me the next day! I then had a shouting match on the phone in order to get back the three months worth of money that I had been paying them and cancel my contract with them. They then asked why I was not staying with them. What a useless bunch of prats. This was eight years ago. Since starting with Virgin, I haven't had a spot of trouble. Hope this helps you to make up your minds.
« Last Edit: 05 October, 2015, 01:56:58 PM by Overlord »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
You're lucky to have a choice - I'm still on copper wire internet. BT have yet to enable my 'cabinet' and Virgin haven't laid cables despite the ducting being present under the road to within 20 feet of my front door!