Author Topic: Marstons - Computer says I have to pay for someone else’s parking offence  (Read 2794 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
And the bailiff industry wonders why it has such a bad reputation. Makes my piss boil.

<bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy:

=================================================

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/06/parking-offence-bailiff-fines-dvla-penalty-charge?CMP=share_btn_tw

Computer says I have to pay for someone else’s parking offence

And I’m unable to appeal ... because I am not that ‘someone else’!

Anna Tims

Tuesday 6 October 2015 07.01 BST

My car was clamped on 31 July. When I rang the number on the notice, it was picked up by a man sitting opposite my car. He was employed by Marston Group, a bailiff service used by Transport for London to collect unpaid fines. He claimed there were penalty charges owing on the car and it would be towed away unless I paid £789. I had no choice but to hand over my credit card. It turned out the fines had been incurred by the previous owner. Both TfL and Marston are aware of this person’s address as it is written on the receipt. I have provided proof that I bought the car from a dealer in June, but the bailiffs refuse to discuss the matter. RJ, London

“Kafkaesque” is an overworked cliche, but when you’re penalised for someone else’s offence and not allowed to appeal because you are not that someone else, no other word will do. This is a depressing illustration of modern bureaucracy where computer scripts dictate customer service. Marston says that warrants for enforcement are electronically transmitted and can’t be disputed. Its agent, it says, acted according on the information he had at the time and you paid “voluntarily”. The root of the problem is, predictably, that flagship of efficiency, the DVLA. It didn’t update its records until 38 days after you purchased the car. This meant that the previous owner was still registered when the bailiffs did their check. “But they should have resolved this and we have taken this up with them,” adds a spokesperson for TfL. “People can always contact TfL directly.” It has refunded the £789 and awarded £250 compensation.

If you need help email Anna Tims at your.problems@observer.co.uk or write to Your Problems, The Observer, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Include an address and phone number.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
I was about to send a very angry email to Mr Mustard until I read that last line.

<Swearyrant>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
(Gentleman from Marston's)
"Of course, Mrs Timms, we totally understand that you were not the owner of the car at the time,  and let's look at this as a piece of luck! Had you committed the offence AND had to pay for it, that would be a double dent to your pride, but you can have a clear conscience that you did not commit the offence... Isn't that wonderful. Now, how would you like to pay?"

"It may help to ease that credit card out of your purse gently?  We wouldn't want to give the poor thing a shock now would we!"

W:T:F: happened here?

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player