Author Topic: Connell Crescent $chunt - Thursday 15 October 2015  (Read 4854 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Connell Crescent $chunt - Thursday 15 October 2015
« on: 16 October, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »
Roll call

Jonesy
Mr Mustard
Coco
Bald Eagle

(click on the attached picture below to enlarge)

Numbers of confirmed saves were down to about 70 this week, but we have come to the conclusion that far more people are using the "rat run" when we are not there than we think. We have come to this conclusion because:

1. At 7pm, when we stopped "assisting" Ealing council in achieving its goal of "100% compliance without penalties" (no motorists passed us), within 3 minutes no less than 7 cars whipped past us while we were saddling up; and

2. Each week we speak to a man (I will call him Briefcase Boy (BB) for now) who walks along Connell Crescent every day as he transfers tube lines between Park Royal and Hanger Lane. He confirmed that without our presence he is regularly passed by dozens of cars, particularly when the slip road off the A40 leading up to Hanger Lane is busy, and motorists are using CC as a way to avoid the queue on the slip road.

He confirmed that he regularly sees queues of cars at the Hanger Lane end of CC that are waiting to rejoin the queue they had avoided by entering at the bottom end of CC. This indicates to us that THE SIGNS ARE NOT WORKING, something that the council must surely be aware of, but for some reason (IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!) choose to ignore; and

3. BB's observations have been confirmed by some local residents and also staff in a local shop called Bodens (where Mr Mustard buys his flowery shirts and we are offered the use of their toilet facilities and tea or coffee upon request), who are well placed to observe the dozens of motorists that pass the signs when we are not there.

By way of keeping you up to date, I can confirm that we have had a couple of replies to FoI requests concerning the number of tickets issued at CC, but we are not going to publish them yet as we are more than a little confused about the numbers being declared. The figures will be published once we have got to the bottom of it but I wouldn't hold my breath in the meantime if I were you. As usual it is like getting blood from a stone when any replies have the potential to embarrass councillors and council officers.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Mr Mustard

• Follower
Re: Connell Crescent $chunt - Thursday 15 October 2015
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
We must also thank the local taxi firm who offer us tea, coffee, water & use of the loo. We are met with friendliness everywhere we go. It is so heartwarming.

Offline jonesy

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
Only my second full $hunt at this honey pot, and was successful in stopping a good few motorists from paying the exorbitant "Toll" fee for using this short cut. What is apparent, that either the majority of drivers who attempt to drive through whilst we are there are either, blind, thick, very confused or very rich!! They fall into theses categories as they 1, do not see the signs, (Blind) 2, see them, don't understand them and do not know the highway code,(thick) 3, see them get all flustered as they have  being doing it for ages, don't want to join very busy main road cant turn round and commit the "Offence" (confused) and 4, have loads of money and willing to pay (rich).
Then there is the so called professional drivers, ones who drive for a living or earn a wage ie taxi and private hire, delivery and trades, and of course the police (not on  this occasion).
Yesterday was a bit a damp and chilly but like the others have said, with the amount of support from the beeping and honking of horns. the waves and thumbs up, (even from people on passing  buses acknowledge what we are doing). and the local shop providing comfort break facilities you cant help getting a warm feeling and a sense of satisfaction, that you've saved a driver from getting fined and stopped the local rip off council from obtaining some more cash which they know they shouldn't be getting.
Jonesy     

Offline Darcus

• Follower
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »
I'm afraid I have to agree with Jonesy. The signs are quite clear. "No motor vehicles between the hours of 3pm and 7pm Monday to Friday". How hard can it be? :bashy: I can't see what the problem is. Drivers either don't know what the signs mean, in which case they shouldn't be driving, or are just not paying attention, in which case they are guilty of driving without due care and attention. They deserve to be fined. It's a bit like people who drive into a car park that's got a sign saying "Car park full" and drive past the sign expecting to find a parking space. DOH!
« Last Edit: 17 October, 2015, 05:22:30 PM by Overlord »

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2015, 12:18:56 AM »
I always go past the car park full sign.

there are usually a few leaving, but the sign won't update until they pass the exit, at which time I'll be parked and you will still be waiting outside. YAY!

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »
I work nearby in Alperton, and the way to avoid Ealing Council's $camera is to drive a coupler of hundred yards further on the A40 to Ritz Parade - where the Premier Inn is - turn in there, then follow Ritz Parade round, it joins up with the North Circular et voilĂ ! It's Red Route, so Ealing will never be able to do anything about it :-)
I have to concur with Jonesey's assessment of the drivers.