Author Topic: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work  (Read 29614 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Re: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work
« Reply #105 on: 13 January, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »
Porsche man’s fury at fine for vehicle mix-up

A Porsche driver who was fined £70 after his silver car was mistaken for a Renault van with a company logo in a Hucknall car park, is furious because he has never visited the town in his life! Hedley Riches received the fine, along with images which show the van entering and leaving the Aldi carpark on December 21.

He said his Porsche 911 Carrera 4 is “neither taxed or insured and permanently remains under wraps as a long-term investment in my home garage at Ellington, Northumberland. Furthermore I have never been to Hucknall in my life. “Any idiot can see that the vehicle clearly displayed in the photograph is a Renault commercial vehicle with the company name displayed on the rear doors. In any event it is clearly not a silver Porsche 911 Cerrera 4.”

Mr Riches replied to ParkingEye, the Chorley-based firm which issued the notice and suggested the culprit be “dismissed on the grounds of total and utter unacceptable incompetence.” He said: “No doubt the matter will be attributed to a computer error. In this case the accuracy of visual recognition and powers of logical and reasoned deduction are clearly inadequate and the programme must be called into question. I wonder how many elderly or infirm people may have been bullied and harassed by the tone of your notice and have simply “coughed up the cash”.”

He told the firm he was not appealing and had “no intention of paying this spurious fine.” A ParkingEye spokesperson said: “We encourage people who have received a parking charge to appeal if they think there are mitigating circumstances. Upon assessment of his case, ParkingEye has cancelled the parking charge.”

http://www.eastwoodadvertiser.co.uk/news/porsche-man-s-fury-at-fine-for-vehicle-mix-up-1-8327173

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #106 on: 13 January, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »
A story like the one above is never complete without Mr Trouserfire's wise words being added.

By the way, this is the 89th article in this thread and as of today it just passed the 27,000 views mark. I consider this a sign of the scale of the abuse being suffered at the hands of parking wea$el's.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #107 on: 13 January, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
And I'm certain that these reports represent only a small number of cases that occur around the country!

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #108 on: 24 January, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »
Another case where the system lets you input data it does not recognise.

====================================

Car registration space on Parkmobile app cost me £100

We paid the parking charge and got confirmation, but UK Parking Control won’t budge on the fine

Clear signs to pay and display … only problem, we paid by the app.

Can you help me with a £100 fine levied by UK Parking Control? In October my partner parked in Cheltenham and paid via the mobile app promoted by signs in the car park – Parkmobile.

She entered the registration of the hire car she was in, paid the £4.10 charge and received confirmation messages, leaving her confident that all was as it should be.

However, it appears the app has not been designed around user behaviour. She inputted the registration number with a space in it, as it appears on a car. As a result we were sent a £100 fine.

Attempts to appeal, both through UKPC and the ombudsman, have been met with a blanket response that the need to pay and display was “clearly displayed”, without any reference to the fact we had paid via the app.
JP, Cheltenham

---------------------------------------

Using a mobile phone app to pay parking charges is becoming ubiquitous, but this letter also shows the perils involved, as if there is even the tiniest of mistakes the user can end up with a fine.

It also shows up how useless the parking appeals service has become. I asked Parkmobile about your case and, following discussions with UKPC, the fine has been cancelled as “a gesture of goodwill”.

Other users of these apps should take note and check that the car registration details are correct at each stage. Paying cash must be easier.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jan/23/parkmobile-app-fine-car-registration-space-uk-parking-control

-------------------------------------------------------------

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #109 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
‘Considering these timings were on entering and leaving the car park no consideration is being given by the company that in between those timings I had to obtain a ticket allowing me two hours of parking.

==============================================

Pensioner facing court for overstaying time in car park by one minute

An 81-year-old pensioner who overstayed his time in a Sports Direct car park by one minute is being threatened with court.

Rod Wilson parked his vehicle in the car park on September 19 and two weeks later, he received a £45 fine from Smart Parking, who lease the site.

He appealed – but the fine has since been increased to £160, and debt collectors are now threatening to take him to court.

Mr Wilson said: ‘Considering these timings were on entering and leaving the car park no consideration is being given by the company that in between those timings I had to obtain a ticket allowing me two hours of parking.

‘I have been driving for over 60 years and never once have entered and left a car park without paying.
‘I am 81 years of age and utterly disgusted that a company can operate in this way.’
Smart Parking have been contacted for a comment, but did not respond.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/08/pensioner-facing-court-for-overstaying-time-in-car-park-by-one-minute-6434809/
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player