Author Topic: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work  (Read 281338 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Re: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work
« Reply #195 on: 11 February, 2020, 06:48:23 AM »

ANPR is not fit for purpose if it allows entry of a VRN it does not recognise.

===========================================================

Nurse's anger at £60 parking fine for making tiny mistake after gruelling night shift

Hull Royal Infirmary nurse Karen Stockdale was hit with the fine after parking outside a train station after a night shift. Parking firm Smart Parking have refused to cancel the whole fine.

Karen was hit with the barmy fine in January

A nurse has hit out at a private parking firm which slapped her with a £60 fine even though she paid for a ticket.

Karen Stockdale, 58, was charged after entering her registration details incorrectly following a gruelling night shift at Hull Royal Infirmary.

She was fined after parking at Paragon Station before a trip to see her brother in Norwich.

Karen claims she can prove she paid for the ticket, and says the car left within the allotted time.

But weeks later, she received a letter demanding she pay a £60 parking charge after she failed to enter her details correctly.

She told HullLive: “I’m fuming. I was getting a train and I’d just come from a night shift at the hospital.

“I put money in and thought I’d put the digits in and the ticket came out. I got the ticket and put it in the car and thought nothing of it.

“And then a few weeks later, I got the letter saying I was charged £60.

Karen kept the ticket as proof

"They know my car and they know my ticket belonged to it. Why allocate the ticket if I’ve not entered the registration?

“I’d normally just pay it but I’m that p****d off about it. I put the time in and they have footage of the car but it’s just because I didn’t put three digits in the machine.”

After receiving the charge Mrs Stockdale wrote back to Smart Parking to appeal the fine.

The firm acknowledged the fact that she purchased a ticket, and wiped £20 from the fine – but demanded that she pay the rest.

She added: “It was an honest mistake. It’s ridiculous."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/nurses-anger-60-parking-fine-21448639

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #196 on: 21 February, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »

PARKING MAD Furious dad hit with £70 parking ticket during son’s hospital visit because it took him 45 minutes to leave car park

James Gratton
20 Feb 2020, 15:03Updated: 20 Feb 2020, 15:03

AN OUTRAGED father has been hit with a £70 parking ticket after it took him 45 minutes to leave a hospital car park.

Scott Michael Clarke was visiting Lincoln County Hospital for an appointment for his one-year-old son who had broken his leg when he was struck with the harsh penalty.

Scott Clarke was fined £70 after being stuck in a queue to exit Lincoln County Hospital

The 31-year-old from Sleaford, Lincolnshire, paid £1.70 to park outside the hospital during the check-up, before returning with 30 minutes to spare.

But banked up traffic in the car park made it almost impossible to leave his space, with it taking 45 minutes to reach the exit where the automatic cameras recorded his registration.

He was shocked when he received the ticket last week, which stated he could face legal action if he failed to pay.

Scott said: "We got in the car with the ticket and went to leave but then that's when we noticed all the traffic.

The 31-year-old was taking his one-year-old son for an appointment after he broke his leg

"The main road was packed and not moving. It took us 45 minutes to get out of the car park.

"We didn't think anything of it as we had paid, but then a few weeks later we received the letter.

"We tried phoning but there was no way of calling them, so we sent a copy of the ticket and a letter to Parking Eye thinking it was all sorted until we got another letter."

Scott plans on fighting the ticket with the parking firm.

He said: "Getting the ticket in the first place when we know we paid and the fact that getting it was due to something out of control with the traffic is horrendous.

"I definitely believe the system needs changing because if it's happened to me, who else will be next?

'Some little, old lady that will just end up paying as she doesn't know how to use the internet and can't appeal."

A Parking Eye spokesperson said: "In this case the motorist was 28 minutes over the time purchased.

"We are not aware that there were any delays in exiting the car parks on this date.

"In the event that a motorist stays beyond their time purchased they are able to pay for additional time via the good2go website up to 24 hours after leaving the car park."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/11004776/dad-hit-parking-ticket-during-sons-hospital-visit-car-park/

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #197 on: 25 February, 2020, 07:12:45 AM »

Parking Eye admits 'technical problem' led to people being wrongly charged for parking at the Moor Park Health and Leisure Centre in Bispham

A pensioner was sent a parking ticket following a trip to the Moor Park Health and Leisure Centre in Bispham - despite staying there for just 39 minutes.

By Michael Holmes
Monday, 17th February 2020, 5:00 pm - Updated Monday, 17th February 2020, 6:50 pm

Garry Hamer accused the Parking Eye cameras of being out of order, saying he should have been fine to park at the Bristol Avenue facility for two hours.

The 82-year-old, of Boston Avenue, a retired bakery sales manager, said: "If they are faulty, they should switch them off."

Parking Eye initially insisted Mr Hamer had "parked in the emergency drop-off zone", which has a 20-minute limit, but later admitted: "A technical problem was identified with our systems and was resolved later that day and no further issues have since been identified.

Garry Hamer, 82, was sent a demand for 70 after parking at the Moor Park Health and Leisure Centre, in Bristol Avenue, Bispham, for 39 minutes. Parking Eye has now admitted an error with its system and cancelled the fine

"Affected motorists have now been notified in writing and we expect no further complications to arise."

Mr Hamer, who drives for Trinity Hospice and also helps with maintenance at the All Hallows church, said he was sent a £70 ticket after a trip to the centre on Wednesday, January 15.

He took it into the reception desk, where he said a worker took out a wad of complaints and told him to "join the queue" of disgruntled motorists.

"Even the staff are being fined for parking," Mr Hamer said. "Apparently the cameras have been faulty for quite a while," he added, saying those ticketed since the malfunction should now be refunded.

The centre has a council-run swimming pool, gym, and library, as well as three GP practices and a pharmacy, and a cafe. A children's play area and small all-weather sports pitch are outside.

Its 230-space car park is owned by pharmacy and medical real estate firm Assura, which tore up tickets handed out to confused drivers after the cameras were installed by Parking Eye in August 2017.

The restrictions, brought in because the car park was regularly rammed, leaving people struggling to find a space, allow for two hours' free parking - or three if drivers enter their details - in a regular space.

Some 61 signs warn of the limits.

Mr Hamer insisted he did not park in a disabled spot or the short stay area, saying he was "right round the back" of the car park.

Another man, David Wood, got a ticket after his daughter, Red Marsh School teacher Heather Wood, 34, used his Seat Ibiza to take her son Paddy, one, for a doctor's appointment on Monday, January 20.

The 63-year-old, of King's Walk, Cleveleys, said photographs showed her driving into and out of the car park, with the ticket claiming she parked in either a disabled space or the short stay zone. He said there was "no evidence" that she did, and said: "She is vehement that she parked in a proper space. They parked round the back."

Mr Wood said he wrote about his experience online, and heard from several others who said they have been in a similar situation.

"Some people have paid because they did not want the hassle," he said.

Mr Wood said his daughter stayed in the car park for an hour and one minute. He said he was prepared to take his fight to court, although Parking Eye cancelled his ticket after being contacted by The Gazette.

"I wonder if they are going to cancel all the other tickets they have issued when they were having technical issues," Mr Wood said.

An investigations team was "looking through the cases to double-check", a spokesman for the firm said, and will "automatically cancel and let people know".

Writing on Facebook, Luce McMillan urged Mr Wood to take his ticket into reception at Moor Park, and added: "They will deal with it. They said the camera is faulty. I got a fine for driving off the car park. I made the mistake of paying the fine in a panic. I hate owing anything, then I got another so I went to ask and the lady at the desk had hundreds all piled up and ready to sort out."

Ann Burton added: "I have had four this week. Apparently they have an issue with cameras. I am taking my latest two in tomorrow; reception just take them off you. [They] accused me of parking in a disabled bay for two hours - rubbish. They are a damn pain."

And Jenny Slater said: "Mum's had a few as she's a member there. They've been sorted by the reception."

Norbreck councillor Maxine Callow, who helped get Mr Hamer's ticket thrown out, said she has dealt with several complaints about the cameras.

She said: "What concerns me is we have vulnerable people going to the doctors who don't feel very well and are waiting for test results, and the last thing you want is a parking system that appears not to be working properly."

Assura, which owns the car park, said: "We're sorry to all patients who have received tickets in error due to the current problems with Parking Eye’s cameras.

"We have asked Parking Eye to ensure that these are cancelled immediately. The system is there to ensure that all users of the building can get a space when they need to, so we are working to make sure these issues are resolved quickly.”

Local MP Paul Maynard, who represents Blackpool North and Cleveleys for the Conservatives, wrote to the company when motorists were caught out by the new rules in 2017.

An aide today said his office will help those who have been affected if they get in touch.

Last week, a picture was posted to the Facebook group Bispham Chat, which has more than 10,000 members.

It purported to be a notice from the council's leisure department and warned: "Parking Eye will be doing patrols of the car park and ticketing cars that have been illegally parked."

Mike Pollard said in a comment: "It appears 'some' people had been parking on the hatched areas, taking up two bays, blocking doorways and restricting free access for ambulances."

Mr Pollard, who has spoken out against the use of parking cameras elsewhere on the Fylde coast in recent years, added: "It's no wonder they've brought a patrol in."

PROLIFERATION OF AUTOMATIC PARKING CAMERAS

ANPR cameras work by automatically scanning the registration plates of vehicles. Traffic police officers use them to tackle uninsured drivers and dangerous vehicles, with their on-board system checking reg plates against a huge database and flagging up any that don't appear to be taxed, insured, or have a valid MoT. They are also used on motorways to track suspects and solve and prevent crime.

But they are also now being used, on an increasingly regular basis, to enforce restrictions on car parks. In the past, motorists had to hope eagle-eyed wardens didn't clock them parking for too long where they should not have been. But now every single vehicle can be checked by one or two cameras in an instant, with invoices sent through to the post to their registered keepers.

Supermarkets, hotels, and leisure parks all now use the cameras.

Last year, the introduction of cameras at the Festival Leisure Park in Rigby Road, central Blackpool, caused controversy.

Some drivers were caught out and fined after a three-hour restriction was brought in, though people can register to stay for longer.

Those in favour of the cameras claim they crack down on those who take up spaces they shouldn't, freeing up much-needed spaces for customers and patrons.

But others claim they are simply cash-cows, targeting motorists for money.

Coun Tony Williams, the opposition leader at Blackpool Council, said previously: "They are not issuing 'fines'; they are private parking charges issued by aggressive private parking companies who then bully those who they state have over-stayed their welcome by threatening them with court action."

HOW TO APPEAL A PARKING EYE CHARGE

Parking Eye said it does not take appeals over the phone. It said they must be done "in writing to ensure a fully audited" process.

They can be filed online at www.parkingeye.co.uk/contact-us, or by post by writing to: Parking Eye Limited, PO Box 117, Blyth, NE24 9EJ.

"You must attach any evidence with your appeal and we will aim to respond within 21 days."

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/health/parking-eye-admits-technical-problem-led-people-being-wrongly-charged-parking-moor-park-health-and-leisure-centre-bispham-1757184

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #198 on: 06 April, 2020, 11:59:47 AM »

Man’s fury after getting a parking ticket at Lincoln County Hospital despite paying to park

He was not happy

ByAshley Franklin
13:31, 4 APR 2020 UPDATED13:32, 4 APR 2020

The man got the parking charge while attending an appointment at Lincoln County Hospital

A man has told of his confusion after being slapped with a parking fine at Lincoln County Hospital despite paying for a ticket.

The man parked up in the hospital’s car park to attend a medical appointment on January 29 earlier this year.

He headed up to the machine outside the main entrance and paid for four hours on his card.

But to his astonishment, less than a week later, a letter arrived at his Lincoln home from ParkingEye, the private firm who govern the car park, with details of a £60 parking charge, which he was told would rise to £100 if not paid on time.

The 62-year-old, who didn’t want to be named, said: “I was rather annoyed when I got the letter as I knew I had paid.

“Why should I then have to pay a £60 to a £100 fine for attending a hospital appointment, which was actually quite critical to my health?

“Why was I being penalised for parking in a hospital car park that I had paid to park in?

“There was no chance I was paying it.”

The man instantly launched an appeal, including proof of his bank statement, which clearly showed he had paid to park.

After further bouts of correspondence, the firm wrote to the man to explain that the charge had occurred because the registration plate entered had not matched up.

Although the man says he is not sure how that could be the case when a picture of his car came up on the screen while paying.

He said: “I don’t know how I could have been in the wrong because the picture of my car came up when I was on the machine.

“If I had typed in the wrong registration plate wouldn’t a different car have come up?”

ParkingEye has since agreed to scrap the fine as a “gesture of good will”.

In a letter to the man seen by Lincolnshire Live, the company wrote: “We understand that receiving a parking charge notice may be inconvenient. However, issuing parking charges for breaches of the parking terms and conditions at this car park is necessary to ensure a better overall parking experience for all users of the facilities.

“As a gesture of good will, we can confirm that this parking charge has now been cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due.

“To avoid potential future inconvenience, we would kindly request you follow the parking terms and conditions displayed on the signage throughout the car park and ensure the correct vehicle registration details are input on any future visits to this car park.”

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-news/mans-fury-parkingeye-lincoln-hospital-4020224

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #199 on: 11 April, 2020, 04:52:25 PM »

Evesham drivers refuse to pay 'wrongly' sent out parking tickets, including one claiming a car was parked there 24 hours

9 April 2020 By Sam Greenway
Senior Reporter/Business

FRUSTRATED drivers, hit with car parking tickets on an Evesham car park, are demanding they are cancelled after claiming the cameras on the site are not working properly.

Dozens have people have said they have wrongly received tickets for stays allegedly over the allowed limit of three hours, on the Sinclair Retail Park's car park near to Aldi and TK Maxx.

And one reader has even told us about a ticket from Car Park Management (CPM), demanding a £60 payment rising to £100 if not paid within 14 days, given for an alleged stay over 24 hours.

Mellieha Colmer said: "My mum visited on the morning of March 19, and went back on March 20 morning.

"Yet they've said she was there the whole time.

"My mum is in her 70s, she has been trying to go out in the morning to shop when it is less busy. But this is just added stress at this time.

"There are at least 40 people (with similar stories).

"The problem is, as I guess no one is working in their office, you phone their number and all it says is you can appeal.

"We are appealing - she wasn't parked there 24 hours."

Sarah Emily Watt, from South Littleton, said her husband popped out to visit Aldi and Home Bargains, on Sunday, March 1.

Mrs Watt said: "He went at 9.15am, but with everything happening at the moment, he had forgot shops don’t open until 10am on Sundays so left.

"He was only on there to turn around and drive straight out.

"He went back around 12.15pm, went into Aldi quickly - only around 10 minutes - and left at 12.26pm.

"He has now been sent a ticket saying he was on there three hours, 13 minutes.

"They have sent a photo of our car entering 9am, and then one of it leaving at 12.26pm.

"There is no way we are paying it - they just need to check the CCTV.

"We spoke to the shops there, but they say it is private land, managed by CPM.

"This must have been going on throughout March.

"It has put us off going there now."

On social media Evesham residents posted pictures of tickets they had wrongly received.

This paper has attempted to contact CPM through an email to their head office about the claims,

No one responded before our deadline.

https://www.halesowennews.co.uk/news/regional/18368867.evesham-drivers-refuse-pay-wrongly-sent-parking-tickets-including-one-claiming-car-parked-24-hours/

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #200 on: 05 July, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »

KFC customers receive £100 parking fines after queuing at drive-through for too long

17 June 2020

Hungry KFC fans queuing up at a Wirral drive-through for their favourite takeaway

KFC customers were shocked after they received £100 parking fines for waiting too long at a drive-through.

The unsuspecting chicken lovers did not realise they were queuing in a privately owned car park in Wirral, Merseyside, to buy their meals.

The parking charge notices were issued to people who waited longer than the 75 minutes permitted at the reopened takeaway in Rock Ferry.

This was despite long queues that left people with waiting times of more than two hours.

Customers were shocked to be hit with £100 parking fines for waiting too long in the privately-owned car park

Even though none of the customers were in parking bays, they were automatically hit with fines because their registrations were caught on CCTV when they entered and left the KFC site.

The first people knew about it was when a letter landed on their doormat from private car park operator Civil Enforcement a few days later, ordering them to pay a £100 parking charge – reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days.

Read more: Crocs launches a KFC shoe that looks and smells like fried chicken

Mum-of-two Hayley Abbott, who was waiting in the KFC queue for 90 minutes, said it was “the most expensive KFC I've ever had in my life”.

KFC has cancelled the fines.

Abbot added: “There was a security guard bringing people into the car park and there was no mention of there being a time limit and a possible fine.

“Once you're in the queue, you can't get out of it. The cars were bumper to bumper.

“I was fuming when I got the parking ticket through the post a few days later. I was thinking, ‘this is the most expensive KFC I've ever had in my life.’”

Read more: Surprise reopening of KFC causes 'two-hour queues' and 'manic scenes'

Instead of paying the fine, Abbot challenged it – and her appeal was upheld.

Another victim of the fines, who gave her name as Alisha, said: “It wasn't my fault I was waiting in a queue.

“If KFC knew people were going to be fined, they shouldn't have let that many people in.”

There was also a strong response when news of the fines was posted on a Facebook group's page, with many others saying they had had the same experience and were refusing to pay.

After being inundated with complaints from angry customers, KFC said it had now cancelled the penalty notices.

A KFC spokesperson said: "It's great to be back and we're flattered by how much our Rock Ferry fans have missed us!

"Our longer than usual queues did result in a few unfair fines for the car park but we've put that right now by cancelling the charges."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/kfc-drive-through-parking-fines-merseyside-110742018.html

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #201 on: 05 July, 2020, 09:11:28 PM »
Don't go to drive through takeaways. Go home and cook a proper meal!

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #202 on: 27 July, 2020, 01:03:40 PM »
#169, 170, 171

============================================================================

Note that in a clear attempt to distance themselves from previous criticism related to the name ParkingEye Ltd they have set up a different company (CarParking Partnership Ltd) under whose name they now trade. See: https://www.carparkingpartnership.co.uk/terms-conditions/

============================================================================

Three drivers hit with £100 fines despite claims they paid for parking at UHCW

The hospital is reviewing feedback and will be looking at ways to improve parking for visitors

By Bethan Shufflebotham
05:00, 16 JUL 2020

Three motorists are appealing parking fines after saying they visited University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire and paid for parking.

Each driver said they had entered their number plate registration at the machine, which failed to identify their cars.

As a result, they say they selected and paid for the amount of time they thought they had parked for- but weeks later found themselves slapped with £100 fines.

A number of drivers contacted CoventryLive after Anna Bradley had her fine overturned by ParkingEye after we reported her story.

The hospital visitors say they are still receiving fines from parking enforcement company Car Parking Partnership.

Colette ordered to pay £100 fine over 40p price difference

Colette Brown, from Coventry, rushed her partner, Dennis, to UHCW after attending a walk-in centre.

The 47-year-old waited in her car whilst Dennis attended the A&E department before being diverted to the main hospital.

But when it came to paying for parking, she says the machine was unable to tell her how long she’d parked.

She said: “At first it wouldn’t take my registration so I entered it again. A man told me it wasn’t working and that he’d selected the free 10 minutes. I wasn’t going to do that, so I clicked one hour.

“I tried to add another hour, but it wouldn’t let me, so I entered my registration again and added a second hour. I thought nothing of it until I got the letter in the post last week.”

Colette's fine from CPP for parking at UHCW

Colette sent CPP the bank statement which she says shows the parking she paid for. She paid for two hours of parking on June 17, but the latter shows she parked for two hours and 42 minutes.

She said: “I paid for two hours because I wasn’t sure how long I was there - the machine couldn’t tell me. I’m happy to pay the 40p difference between two and three hours of parking.

“I can’t afford to pay the £100 fine as I’m currently off work as I’ve been furloughed. I’m worried I will end up with two fines as I’ve got to take my partner for a check up next week.”

Visiting ill dad with family

Tim Bowers, aged 35, was visiting his dad at UHCW following two brain haemorrhages.

His father had been taken to hospital on June 29 following a suspected stroke, and is still recovering on the ward.

Tim, from Allesley, said: “A few days later we were allowed to visit dad due to him being in a private room on July 1. My wife dropped my mum off at the hospital and I joined them later that day.

“When leaving we went to pay, one machine was completely out of order, one was turned off and so we used the remaining machine in the hospital. No matter how many times we searched for the car registration, the system would not find it.

“Eventually I asked a member of staff - who also helped the elderly couple in front of us - for assistance. We weren't sure when we had arrived, as due to the stress we hadn't been paying much attention. I think the staff person clicked for two or three hours for us.”

Tim's parking fine from CPP for parking at UHCW

Tim has been visiting his dad at the hospital most days and says he had always paid for his parking.

He added: “It’s a really emotional time and the last thing you need is a threatening sounding letter saying you owe money. It doesn't appear to acknowledge that we’ve paid anything at all. We’ve used the car park three or four times since and it’s worked correctly and I’ve been able to pay.”

ParkingEye have not cancelled the fines for Colette or Tim, as their appeals are still in review. The company has asked the drivers to wait until the appeal process is complete.

A ParkingEye spokesperson said: “All motorists are able to appeal using our BPA (British Parking Association) audited appeals process to highlight any mitigating circumstances they may have. On this occasion both motorists have recently submitted an appeal which will be reviewed in the coming days."

Pregnant Stephanie's fine

Stephanie White, from Nuneaton, was heavily pregnant when she attended an appointment at UHCW on June 3.

The 32-year-old says she had a similar experience where the machine was unable to locate her vehicle registration.

She said: “ I entered my vehicle registration details at the pay station. The terminal advised me it did not recognise my vehicle details and asked me how much I would like to pay. It gave me a tariff against particular times. I estimated three hours and duly paid the displayed amount and left the hospital grounds. CPP have since advised me I was parked for 3 hours 34 minutes.”

A week later on June 11, Stephanie received the £100 fine in the post, which she attempted to appeal.

Stephanie White's parking fine from CPP at UHCW

She added: “Why am I being charged a disproportionate amount because their terminal could not recognise my correctly entered details?”

Her appeal was unsuccessful, but ParkingEye have since cancelled the fine as a ‘gesture of goodwill’ after being asked to comment by CoventryLive.

A ParkingEye spokesperson said: “Every appeal is reviewed by our dedicated appeals team and on this occasion, this has been cancelled as a gesture of goodwill. The motorist will shortly receive a letter to confirm.”

Stephanie's dad, Ian Jones, from Coventry is not impressed with the company.

The 67-year-old said: "The exact same thing happened to my son three months ago, and his appeal was upheld.

"They haven't apologised for the inconvenience caused. She's a new mum and didn't need to be stressed out in her third trimester, nor pay a £100 fine when that money could go on the baby."

The hospital says it is reviewing feedback and will be looking at ways to improve parking for visitors.

A spokesperson for University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire (UHCW) NHS Trust said: “We would like to thank members of the public for bringing these matters to our attention.

“In light of this feedback, we will review whether the processes and accompanying information for inputting estimated length of stay into our machines can be enhanced further.

“We understand that attending hospital can be a stressful time and are continuously looking at ways to improve the parking experience at University Hospital.”

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/three-drivers-hit-100-fines-18595508

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #203 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »

Anger as pensioner told to pay £100 parking fine despite paying right fee

By Richard Guttridge | West Bromwich | News | Published: Sep 9, 2019

A pensioner has been left furious after she was told she must pay a £100 fine for accidentally entering the wrong registration number on a parking machine.

Jo Turner was furious when her appeal was refused

Jo Turner, aged 81, was appalled when she discovered her appeal against the fine had failed, even though it was accepted she had paid the correct amount and not overstayed.

Smart Parking, which manages the machines at the Astle Retail Park in West Bromwich, said her mistake "breached the advertised terms and conditions" and that it was the "responsibility of the motorist" to ensure details were entered correctly.

The retired nurse, from West Bromwich, paid 80p to stay 20 minutes at the retail park but didn't realise she had held down one of the keys for too long and therefore typed in her registration incorrectly.

ANPR cameras confirmed she stayed for 20 minutes, complying with the rules of the car park.

That was not good enough for Smart Parking, which decided to uphold the parking charge notice, originally issued in May, meaning Mrs Turner must stump up the £100.

However the bullish pensioner, who had parked for a quick visit to the bank, has so far refused to pay up despite receiving a notice from a debt collector.

And she said: "I put my 80p in. They can put me in prison if they want.

"I think they are being unreasonable. I produced my ticket to show I put the right amount in but they said it was the driver's responsibility to put in the correct details.

"I would have done if I could see it. It was so small and I have got cataracts. It doesn't affect my driving but it does affect my reading.

"I understand the computer doing that but I expect a human being not to act like a machine."

A letter sent to Mrs Turner informing her the appeal was being refused said: "Please be advised that as detailed on the car park signage it is the responsibility of the motorist to enter the full and correct VRM (vehicle registration mark) when using the payment machine, and ensure payment has been made against the full and correct vehicle registration for the total duration the vehicle is on site."

It continued: "There are numerous signs located around the site that inform motorists of the advertised terms and conditions.

"The terms and conditions clearly state: 'Motorists must enter their full, correct vehicle registration when using the payment machine' and 'failure to comply with the terms and conditions will result in a parking charge of £100 discounted at £60 if paid within 14 days'."

Smart Parking has not responded to requests for comment.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/sandwell/2019/09/06/pensioners-anger-over-unfair-parking-fine/

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #204 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:23:39 AM »

Man fined after hospital ANPR cameras didn't recognise his car

There are fewer incidents being reported at the hospital following the installation of ANPR earlier in the year

ByLaura HartleySenior Reporter
15:13, 13 SEP 2019

A pensioner received a £100 fine after he says ANPR cameras at University Hospital Coventry didn't recognise his car's number plate.

John Green, 89, is a disabled badge holder, and has been using the hospital car park on a regular basis.

However, the former Magistrate recently experienced a problem when his number plate wasn't recognised.

John said he went to the hospital mid-August to take his wife for a scan, however when he went to type his registration into the pay machine, his car wasn't recognised.

The hospital has said that following the initial problems when the ANPR system was installed, the cameras have now improved and pick up 98 per cent of registration numbers.

A spokesman invited John to contact the hospital to discuss the fine.

'Upset and angry'

John said: "I'm really quite angry about this, as we are unfortunately regulars at the hospital.

"It happened on August 14 when we went in for an MRI scan at 7.45am and came out a couple of minutes after 9am.

"I put my registration plate in and it said it doesn't recognise it, so I put it in again, and I was beginning to think I was doing it wrong.

"It was then I went in to security and explained what happened and the man did come out with me and put it in for me. But he said the same.

"We had not long bought the car so I did check if the plate for right and it was. I tried at least five times.

"The man from security said, you go and I will deal with this.

"However I then got a fine for £100. I wrote a letter to them as instructed to appeal and explain, and all I had was an extension to pay the fine.

"When I received it, I was upset, and angry. I'm a retired magistrate, why would I riddle with the system."

What UHCW said in response

A spokesman for University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust said: “We have no record of these matters being raised with us but would be more than happy to speak to and assist the gentleman in question.

“Our cameras are now picking up 98% of registrations, meaning there is a minimal window for error.

“On the rare occasions registrations are not read, due to the number plate maybe being dirty or possibly modified in some way, a number of options are available to enable visitors to pay for parking.

“Security staff have been trained to provide help and guidance to members of the public having any difficulties.

“We understand that attending hospital can be a stressful time and are continuously looking at ways to further improve the parking experience at University Hospital.”

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/uhcw-car-park-anpr-fine-16889462

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #205 on: 09 August, 2020, 08:38:07 AM »

“Our cameras are now picking up 98% of registrations, meaning there is a minimal window for error.

Imagine if police told you their speed cameras were correct 98% of the time but 2 out of 100 motorists would be wrongly accused of speeding and therefore forced to prove their innocence.

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer." William Blackstone - c1760
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #206 on: 03 October, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »

Families frustrated after ‘unfair’ parking fines at hospital

PUBLISHED: 18:59 23 January 2020Sophie Barnett

Patients and their families have hit out at a “frustrating” automatic number plate recognition at Colchester Hospital’s car park, which they claim has left them facing unfair fines.

Karen White, aged 55, from Dedham, is one of many people "confused" by the system at the hospital's general car park, receiving a £70 parking fine on three occasions.

"The system should work the same every time," said Karen. "But it is so unpredictable and frustrating, as one day it will recognise my registration and the next it won't."

Fiona Sparrow, head of facilities East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust - which runs Colchester Hospital - encouraged people to contact the trust directly with their concerns.

Karen has received three parking fines which she has tried to appeal - one from a visit in September and two in the space of a week in October, where she was visiting her mother up to three times a day.

The hospital introduced the ANPR system back in October 2018, which records a vehicles licence plate on arrival and means that visitors no longer have to take a ticket from a machine.

Drivers then enter their licence plate and pay by card or cash before returning to their vehicle.

According to Karen and a number of other customers, the ANPR systems sometimes fail to recognise the number plate upon arrival, meaning guests have to manually enter their details and select the time they were parked for.

Then, a few days later, customers have reported receiving parking fines through the door.

Karen says she has also written to the company, her local councillor and even asked a parking attendant for help.

The 55-year-old, who has spent many trips to the hospital to visit her sick mother, is now making a conscious effort to note down the time she arrives, in case the system fails.

Ms Sparrow said: "We're grateful to visitors for bringing this to our attention and we are sorry for any inconvenience the ANPR system at Colchester Hospital has caused.

"If they would like to get in touch with us directly we will happily look into these cases further and consider their appeals.

"We do have an appeal process in place for anyone who thinks they've been unfairly fined."

One of Karen's three appeals has been successful but, as it stands, she may be forced to pay £140 - which she claims is "unfair".

Other customers have shared their similar experiences online, with Michelle Skinner stating that the situation made her "furious".

She said: "I am currently sending off another appeal which has been denied once already."

Others admitted they "caved in" and paid the fines, after sending multiple appeals off and "giving up".

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/colchester-hospital-general-car-park-fines-anpr-system-1-6480645

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #207 on: 25 October, 2020, 09:36:41 AM »

From Pepipoo

=====================================================

Hi

I foolishly didn't read up before putting my first appeals in at UKCPM. I've now read the NEWBIES thread and seen that I should have used the template there.

Situation: Driver parked at small city centre car park near workplace several times within 2 weeks. Has used in past and not had issues but it has changed to ANPR over lockdown. Entered Reg & Paid at machine for time needed, machine does not give ticket but says Processing. I checked UKCPM site and it says this should whitelist your Reg on their system. Cleary this did not happen because I have received 6 PCNs since. I now know these are NTKs.

I promptly put in appeals as I'm aware that companies now pursue unpaid tickets and naively thought ticket was paid, machine fault, surely they'd check that and correct it. I was mistaken, and they rejected all the appeals.

I put the appeals in through the online form and checked Registered Keeper box, but didn't take screenshots. In it was simply stated something to effect of 'Parking charge was paid at machine as per signage. There must be an error with your system. Please investigate'. I don't believe I ever alluded to who driver was so think I did that bit right.

Question: The T&Cs were followed, but I have no proof because they do not give tickets. As I didn't use the template, I didn't request the PDT machine details outlined in it. I am now wondering, could I submit the First appeals through the UKCPM form again using the template to try to force them to check the machine logs or would that create more issues for me later on? Everywhere here says not to bother with IAS.

My main concern is with 6 PCNs/£600 of fines, and no ticket to prove payment, that they will definitely take this to court.

As this is one of those gravelly plots of land in a city centre, I have no clue who the landowner is to contact them. I expect others must have had same issues and stopped parking there now so maybe they'll notice revenues are down.

I have the same letter as this thread (no scanner right now) -
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77246627#Comment_77246627
Signage:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6194134/6-pcns-from-ukcpm-anpr-car-park-paid-cash-every-time

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #208 on: 06 November, 2020, 01:32:44 PM »

"...he spent three minutes parked in a private car park behind the hotel on Tombland - just long enough to read the sign and opt not to stay."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Common sense prevails’ - Court case over three minutes of parking is thrown out

PUBLISHED: 09:01 21 December 2019 | UPDATED: 15:06 21 December 2019

Lewis Taylor was taken to court over three minutes of parking. Pictured with wife Nikki and son Finley. Pictures; Lewis Taylor/Denise Bradley

A new father who was hauled before a court over a three minute parking charge has said he feels like he’s been “given an early Christmas” after his case was dismissed by the court.

Lewis Taylor, of Sprowston, was taken to Norfolk County Court by National Parking Enforcement, after he parked for a grand total of three minutes in the car park of the Maid's Head Hotel in Norwich almost two years ago.

Mr Taylor attended court on Friday, after weeks of stress anticipating the possibility of a court defeat and heavy costs to pay - just days before Christmas.

However, instead, the case was dismissed by the court and his £100 parking charge rescinded - much to the 28-year-old carpenter's relief.

He said: "I definitely could have done without the stress of attending court, but in the end the case was dealt with in less time than I was actually in the car park for.

"It's like I've been given an early Christmas present. I was really pleased to see that common sense prevailed in the end."

Mr Taylor, who is preparing to celebrate his new son Finley's first Christmas with wife Nikki, was summoned to court after ignoring a £100 charge issued by the controversial private parking firm.

It related to an incident on March 15, 2018, in which he spent three minutes parked in a private car park behind the hotel on Tombland - just long enough to read the sign and opt not to stay.

He said: "It has been a big stress, but I always knew I hadn't done anything wrong. The court obviously felt the same way, so happy days.

"My advice to anyone else in the same situation would be if you believe you are in the right, stand up for yourself.

"If I had been in the car park for three hours then of course I'd have held my hands up to it, but what I did wasn't unreasonable.

"The charge wasn't astronomical and we could have coped but it was a matter of principle and I'm glad I saw it through."

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/sprowston-father-parking-charge-dismissed-1-6435760

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #209 on: 08 November, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
He should have been awarded compensation equal to the amount they were trying to thieve off him.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player