Author Topic: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work  (Read 281353 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Re: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work
« Reply #255 on: 15 December, 2021, 09:20:01 AM »

Northampton man, 87, slams parking company for fine as his car broke down and he had to get home to his ill wife

The former RAF serviceman appealed the fine and provided details of his ‘desperate’ situation, but the appeal was still rejected

By Carly Odell
Thursday, 28th October 2021, 8:15 am

The car park in Octagon Way, Weston Favell.

A Northampton man has slammed a car parking company that fined him after his car broke down following a shopping trip, which meant he overstayed the free parking limit as he had to get home to his ill wife rather than wait for a mechanic.

Peter Marshall, who lives in Kingsley, visited the car park in Octagon Way, Weston Favell on September 9, this year at around 11.15am.

The car park, operated by Euro Car Parks, serves the retail park where Mandarin, a number of charity shops and a pet shop are located. Parking is free for two hours.

Peter says he was parked for around ten minutes before he returned to his car, with the intention to leave and drive home. However, his vehicle would not start.

The 87-year-old called his usual mechanic company, but they were unable to assist immediately. He then began to panic as he is the sole, full-time carer for his 89-year-old wife who has severe dementia.

Peter said: “I couldn’t stay there and wait for another mechanic because that would have been hours and my wife can’t be left for hours.

“So I used my bus pass to get to the town centre and then I went to Bounds to get a taxi home.

“I couldn’t leave my wife for any longer as I never know what I could come home to.

“I then organised for another mechanic to pick me up.”

Peter and the mechanic arrived back at the car park at around 3pm - just under four hours after he initially parked there.

The car was jump-started and Peter drove off, but weeks later he was greeted with a PCN fine of £60 for overstaying the free parking limit.

The former engineer and RAF serviceman subsequently went through the appeal process explaining the unfortunate situation, which was out of his control, but he received further communication to say after ‘careful consideration’ the appeal had been rejected.

Peter added: “Within 24 hours of receiving the parking notice, I had sent Euro Car Parks every detail possible about the incident.

“It was an awful situation I was in, I felt helpless and I was desperate to get home to my wife.

“Now I’m being fined £60 for my car being stuck - it’s despicable.

“We both worked hard and this is what our retirement has come to.

“It’s disgusting but I’m not going to give up. Once I get my teeth into something, I will not let go.”

Mr Marshall says he is hoping to speak to his MP, Michael Ellis, about the issue and he is also considering asking the Air Force Association for help as he feels the fine is unfair given the circumstances.

Chronicle & Echo has made several attempts to contact Euro Car Parks since Monday (October 25) for comment about the incident and subsequent appeal, but no response has been received.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/people/northampton-man-87-slams-parking-company-for-fine-as-his-car-broke-down-and-he-had-to-get-home-to-his-ill-wife-3435026

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #256 on: 15 December, 2021, 09:25:31 AM »

Driver charged 'astounding amount' for parking fine even though he'd paid

He says he entered his details correctly but the car park's machines have no way to show this

ByFinvola Dunphy
04:00, 1 SEP 2021UPDATED20:06, 1 SEP 2021

Kanti Lad, 65, of Wigston received a car parking fine of £100 but maintains he paid and displayed his ticket for the hour.

A driver who says they're sure they entered their details correctly into a car park ticket machine has been left with a fine for an "astounding amount".

The family of Kanti Lad say he was wrongly issued a parking fine for an under one hour stay at the privately run Mansfield Street car park in Leicester.

They say the 65-year-old, of Wigston, was given a 'Parking Charge Notice' of £100 for not entering the car registration number in full or correctly on Thursday, May 20.

A ticket was purchased at the machines on the site, but as they tickets do not show the registration on them, they have no way of proving they paid for the correct vehicle - and wouldn't have even realised any error at the time they visited.

The son, who wishes to remain anonymous told LeicestershireLive, is challenging the ticket on his father's behalf: "My parents paid for an hour and we still have the ticket. They displayed the ticket clearly in the car.

"A week or so later a letter came through the post saying they had not entered the registration number correctly and they are seeking a stupid amount of money for their mistake.

"How would they even know if they made mistake entering it, if the number is not displayed?"

They still have the ticket for the time they were at the car park, but no registration number is displayed. The son maintains that his parents drove into the car park at 14.09pm, purchased a ticket and displayed it, before leaving at 14.41pm that day.

The driver's son said he contacted Gladstone Solicitors, whose client is Parallel Parking Ltd, the firm which runs the car park.

"I have had conversations on the phone and emails to and from the solicitor of the firm. It seems they don't want to know and want them to pay the astounding amount," he added

LeicestershireLive has seen the response from Gladstone Solicitors which states that "no ticket was recorded against the full and exact vehicle registration number."

The firm did however, say that their Client, Parallel Parking Ltd is willing to accept a settlement of £140 "without prejudice" as a gesture of good will.

Parking ticket shows no details of the vehicle registration number

LeicestershireLive has contacted Gladstone Solicitors for further information about this incident and are awaiting a reply.

"It is so upsetting that people who do the right thing are being fined like this," added Mr Lad.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/driver-charged-astounding-amount-parking-5851495

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #257 on: 15 December, 2021, 09:31:42 AM »

Tourist fined for the time he spent waiting for a parking space and buying a ticket

He wants to warn other motorists of the risk they face when parking in the St Ives car park

BySam Beamish
10:50, 24 NOV 2021UPDATED13:14, 25 NOV 2021

Mr Adams with his dog in Cornwall

A tourist has claimed he was fined for the time he spent trying to find a parking space and buying a ticket.

Paul Adams, aged 55 from Stoke-on-Trent, is a regular visitor to Cornwall and spends a lot of time in St Ives.

He was here in October half term and parked at the laundrette car park where he paid £8.50 for a parking ticket.

However, he later received notification from Armtrac Security Services Ltd, the parking firm which runs the car park, informing him that he had been fined £60.

The fine came as a shock to Mr Adams who discovered Armtrac was trying to charge him for the time he spent trying to find a parking space and buying a ticket.

Mr Adams arrived at the site at 11.14am on Monday, October 25 but because the car park was busy he was unable to find a space for 14 minutes.

After finding a space he then had to wait 10 minutes in a queue to pay at the parking meter.

He tried to appeal the parking fine but the decision was upheld by the parking company.

They said: "Our records show that the notice was correctly issued as your vehicle was parking in breach of the terms and conditions of parking.

"All motorists have a duty to care to abide by the clearly displayed terms and conditions of parking in return for permission to park on the site and Armtrac Security Services have a duty of care to the landowner to ensure the clearly displayed terms and conditions of parking are being adhered to."

Mr Adams' parking ticket

Armtrac said Mr Adams' vehicle had "no valid cashless session or valid ticket" for 24 minutes.

Mr Adams said with that logic he would have to either pay within a minute of arriving at the car park or before he entered.

He explained he was charged £60 which he has since paid to avoid 'over-zealous recovery' and added he didn’t want some ‘fat bald bloke’ knocking at his door.

He said: "We visit St Ives regularly and use the car park and haven't had an issue in 30 years.

"I feel it needs to be publicised. Everyone using that car park needs to know the risk they take.

"That is over and above what you would normally accept as being reasonable."

Mr Adams says each time his family visits St Ives, which is a handful of times each year, they spend a lot of money in the local economy.

They've been coming to Cornwall ever since his daughter was born and she's now 31-years-old.

But this year they were one of a huge group of tourists who flocked to Cornwall as overseas travel was limited.

This meant Cornwall was "at capacity" and booking into accommodation, a local restaurant or even finding a parking space became difficult and with Covid still rife many people weren't comfortable using public transport.

Mr Adams said: "I drove onto the car park and waited for a space. I didn't want to be sitting on a bus from the park and ride.

"So I waited 14 minutes until a space opened and then got in the queue and paid £8.50.

"I find the fact they charged us £60 because we were waiting for a space very unfair when we also paid a day's parking."

He added: "It's fraudulent."

Mr Adams said it may be that you only have 10 minutes to find a parking space and buy a ticket but he didn’t see anything to suggest so.

Meanwhile in the failed appeal, seen by CornwallLive, there was no mention of this either.

Armtrac Security Services Ltd has been contacted for a comment.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/tourist-fined-time-spent-waiting-6251792

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #258 on: 29 December, 2021, 09:58:47 AM »

Driver Paul Hindson was asked to pay for entering a car park but not leaving

Driver forced to pay £136 before exposing huge flaw in car park camera system

Automatic numberplate recognition software is used by many car parks to justify fining drivers, but it doesn't always work properly, as one motorist found out to his cost

ByTom MackSam BarkerPersonal Finance Reporter
12:40, 27 Dec 2021UPDATED13:37, 27 Dec 2021

A baffled driver was wrongly fined over mistakes made by a car parking firm - including being told he had parked his vehicle for up to six months.

Paul Hindson was surprised earlier this year when he was fined for leaving his vehicle overnight in a car park, which he had never done.

Paul often left his car in a car park behind a Tesco Express in Narborough, Leicestershire, but only during the day.

He was even more surprised when his appeal was flatly rejected, according to the Leicester Mercury .

But the company running the camera, Smart Parking, sent him a very revealing document as evidence.

The document Smart Parking sent to Paul, 62, showed that his car - rather than going into the car park and then leaving - was often going in numerous times without ever coming out.

Automatic number plate technology is used to issue fines, but drivers pay the price when it goes wrong

In fact, during one period his car is seen going in 20 times without ever leaving. Then from October 20, 2020, he enters without leaving until April the following year.

On four further occasions he manages to be captured entering at least three times but never leaving.

The battle to get out of the fine went on most of the year and he even had to shell out £136 to stop a debt collection agency paying a visit - although the money has now been fully refunded.

Paul told the Leicester Mercury: "After you get fined the amount goes up and up as time passes, and I had to pay £136 because they were involving a debt recovery business.

"I obviously knew all along there was no way I'd left my car in the car park but this system was clearly unreliable.

"Then they sent me the log with my car entering their car parks and clearly it was being seen going in and not seen going out so there are ins followed by ins and outs followed by outs. It's ridiculous.

"They have now agreed to pay the money back but I worry about how many other motorists have been fined because of this rubbish system."

A Smart Parking spokesman said Paul's fine had been cancelled "as a gesture of goodwill" and that the company no longer ran the car park in Narborough.

He said: "Although Smart Parking no longer operate this car park, when we did thousands of motorists used it every week and the vast majority of them had no issues using it.

"Smart Parking are proud members of the British Parking Association (BPA) and strictly follow its guidelines.

"As part of this we operate a BPA audited appeals service. In the case of Mr Hindson he did appeal and we investigated his case and ultimately cancelled his charge as a gesture of goodwill."

Last month The Mirror reported a family was hit by a £60 parking fine for driving around a busy car park - despite never parking.

Smart Parking also issued her ticket.

Julie Sutcliffe, 51, had been on a family holiday to Cornwall in August.

On August 12 they visited Newquay, which was very busy at the time, and the family struggled to find a parking space.

They had visited three or four car parks, all full.

Getting desperate, they drove slowly around one car park for just more than 10 minutes hoping someone would leave so they could stop.

No-one did, so they left, before successfully finding a spot in another car park, but were fined anyway. They appealed, but Smart Parking deferred to BPA guidelines and refused a refund.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/driver-forced-pay-136-after-25792589

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #259 on: 29 December, 2021, 10:24:18 AM »

One family got a £60 fine for spending too long in a car park, even though they never turned off the engine

EXCLUSIVE: Family fined £60 for spending 12 minutes driving around car park looking for space

The family were surprised to get a ticket despite never getting out of their car or turning off the engine - but the car park operator insists the fine is deserved

BySam BarkerPersonal Finance Reporter
17:51, 30 Nov 2021

A family has been hit by a £60 parking fine for driving around a busy car park - despite never parking.

Julie Sutcliffe, 51, had been on a family holiday to Cornwall in August.

On August 12 they visited Newquay, which was very busy at the time, and the family struggled to find a parking space.

They had visited three or four car parks, all full.

Getting desperate, they drove slowly around one car park for just more than 10 minutes hoping someone would leave so they could stop.

No-one did, so they left, before successfully finding a spot in another car park.

But to their surprise, when they had returned home after their trip they got a £60 ticket from the operator of the car park they had driven around.

Sutcliffe said: "When we got back from our holidays I opened a letter saying we had a £60 fine for parking for 13 minutes without paying. This was the time we had spent driving round.

"I appealed, saying at no point had we stopped, never mind turned our engine off.

"Our appeal was refused. To say I’m disgusted is a huge understatement."

The family paid the fine because it seemed like the easier option than fighting the ticket.

"I thought I'd pay it as I didn't want the worry of taking it further," Sutcliffe said. "They are a big company and we are a family."

The Mirror asked Smart Parking if they would refund the £60 as the family had not parked.

But Smart Parking said the fine was deserved and there would be no refund.

A Smart Parking spokesperson said: "Smart Parking are proud members of the British Parking Association and strictly follow its guidelines.

"At Newquay car park we utilise a state-of-the-art ANPR parking management system to ensure genuine customers can always find a place to park.

"It is important to remember that the car park is private land, so when deciding to park motorists should always check the terms and conditions of use which are clearly outlined in numerous signs across the site.

"In the case of [Sutcliffe] she stayed in the car park for over 12 minutes without paying, so correctly received a charge, which she has now paid.”

Last week The Mirror reported a man was fined for time he spent finding a parking space and queuing to buy a ticket.

Paul Adams, 55, says he paid for an £8.50 ticket in St. Ives which would have allowed him to stay parked at the spot all day.

But some time later he received a £60 fine from Armtrac Security Services Ltd, who run the car park.

As Adams read the notice, he was shocked to find he was being charged for the 15 minutes he waited to find a spot and the 10 minutes he waited in a queue to buy a ticket at the machine.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/family-fined-60-spending-12-25582941

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #260 on: 10 January, 2022, 02:14:26 PM »

Driver fined three times in one day for driving out of her street slams parking company

A DRIVER in Yorkshire was fined three times in one day simply for driving out of her street.

By FELIX REEVES, LISA BAXTER
18:16, Fri, Nov 5, 2021 | UPDATED: 19:29, Fri, Nov 5, 2021

Dianne Bakolis, 59, was handed three separate fines when trying to leave the cul-de-sac she lives in. The driver who lives in Brough, Yorkshire received the fines which were worth a total of £120.

She briefly entered the nearby Brough Station car park when making a U-turn in order to avoid traffic.

Ms Bakolis said she often uses the station entrance to make a turn around to skip the congestion on her narrow street.

Despite this, a camera photographed Dianne’s number plate each time she did so.

Several other motorists, including people picking up takeaways or making drop offs at the station, have also been hit with fines.

Apcoa's signage at the Brough train station car park

Drivers doing U-turns on this stretch of Station Road risk being given a parking charge notice.

She was slapped with three £40 fines by the end of the day by the parking firm APCOA.

She said: "Sometimes it's really hard turning around on Station Road, which is a dead end, so I sweep round the car park to make a turn.

"The camera is angled down Station Road, but there's no need to be, as there are no station parking bays there.

"It seems to be it's purely to try and catch people out who aren't even using the car park, they're either dropping off or getting a Chinese.

"I appealed the first one and won, I am now appealing these three I received in one day,” she told Hull Daily Mail.

Other drivers have been targeted at the same spot, with many claiming to have been unfairly given a fine.

Another resident, Penny Coates, said she recently got two fines in one day and another the next morning.

She said: "My daughter lived on Station Road and I would turn around my car at the car park.

“Depending on other traffic, I once or twice pulled into a park space and then waited a few seconds until I was able to reverse out and park further up.

"I have had four tickets issued for this.

“The last one I turned around at the Chinese take away.

“I am now just waiting to hear the outcome of my appeal."

A spokesperson from APCOA Parking told Hull Daily Mail that they were currently processing the complaint.

They said: “APCOA and our client are aware of a current issue at this site and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

"In the meantime, we encourage anyone who believes they have been incorrectly served with a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) to follow the appeals process so we can respond to their specific case.”

Express.co.uk have reached out to APCOA Parking for further comment.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1517239/driver-fined-three-times-parking-dispute-yorkshire

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #261 on: 10 January, 2022, 02:20:13 PM »

5th October 2021

Blue badge holders faced with parking fines from Cherry Tree Shopping Centre

By Rebecca McGrath
Reporter

"It's discrimination" Blue badge holders hit with parking fines from shopping centre

Elderly and disabled motorists are being hit with fines from a Liscard shopping centre car park despite being blue badge holders.

In August this year, Smart Parking took over the car park at Cherry Tree Shopping Centre.

Previously, Cherry Tree allowed blue badge holders to use the disabled car parking spaces free of charge and said badge holders would still be eligible for free parking for up to three hours after new handover.

Legal adviser, Leanne Daly, has been helping residents with discrimination claims against the company after numerous where hit with £100 fines.

Leanne told the Globe: “People were driving into the car park, seeing the sign that says they just need to display their badge and then not getting a ticket.

“But with the new system, if you don’t purchase a ticket and enter your full correct registration into their machines, the cameras, which don’t recognise blue badges, will capture your license plate and automatically send a fine to your home address.”

Leanne said fines can take up to a month to come through meaning residents are left unaware of their mistakes until much later.

She said: “People might have parked in Cherry Tree four or five times before they’ve even realised that something is wrong.

“I’ve helped people who have racked up multiple fines and are being told they owe hundreds of pounds.”

Despite the car park signs informing residents displaying their blue badge is enough, to avoid the fine, residents have to alert smart parking that they are registered blue badge holders either online or via the Cherry Tree office.

Leanne said: “A lot of people who are being hit by these fines are elderly and don’t have access to a smart phone or the internet to register that they’re a blue badge holder.

“The office for Cherry Tree is up a flight of stairs with no lift so it’s impossible for a lot of badge holders to even access.

“That’s discrimination because it’s making it less fair for a disabled person to use the carpark because they’re more likely to end up with a charge which may or may not get cancelled.”

Leanne said she has helped over 60 local people contact Cherry Tree and Smart Parking to help appeal against the fines.

She said: “There are people I’ve helped that have been slapped with £300 worth of fines and then are having to appeal and worry for months if they are going to have to pay it or not.

“Those people have been put through an ordeal that they shouldn’t have to experience in the first place.

“People are getting really worried and confused. It’s a lot for people to process.”

Leanne has been helping residents through a Facebook group where those affected can share their experiences and offer support to one another.

She said: “A lot of people are coming to me worried that because of these fines they’re going to get something on their record and they’re not tech savvy so don’t have a clue where to start with appealing it.

“There’s quite a lot of people in vulnerable positions. They see this legal letter and get scared so I’m just hoping I can level the playing field and put it in everyday language for people.”

In response to the complaints, Cherry Tree Shopping Centre posted on social media: “Cherry Tree Shopping Centre is aware that some Blue Badge Holders have been sent Parking Charge Notices in error by our tenant, Smart Parking.

“We are presently working with Smart Parking to resolve this issue permanently, but in the meantime should any Blue Badge Holder receive a Parking Charge Notice they will be able to get this cancelled by following the appeals process on the back of the letter.

“As part of the appeal process, you will be required to upload a copy of your Blue Badge to Smart Parking's website and this file should be less than 3mb or the website will not accept it.

“We understand that these notices will have caused concern to our customers and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. Should anyone require any further information, please email info@smartparking.com.”

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/19626016.blue-badge-holders-faced-parking-fines-cherry-tree-shopping-centre/

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #262 on: 10 January, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »

Leslie Burgess is a Gulf War veteran who served in the Royal Fleet Auxillary

Aldi shopper hit with £70 parking fine after trying to use 'faulty' machine

War veteran Leslie Burgess, 62, from Deal, Kent, visited his local Aldi supermarket on October 22 for a monthly food shop when he was stung by the £70 parking fine

ByMatt Drake
07:07, 10 Nov 2021

A Gulf War veteran has spoken of his outrage after being hit with a £70 fine in an Aldi car park.

Leslie Burgess, 62, from Deal, Kent, visited his local supermarket on October 22 for a monthly food shop.

He told KentLive he tried to input his details in the parking machine several times during his stay but was unable to do so.

He said: “Before leaving the store, I went to the touchpad near the exit to enter my car registration.

"I had been at the Aldi store 40 minutes. I tried several times to enter my registration but there were no pictures of my car entering the car park.

He was originally handed a £70 fine

"I thought that it may be faulty so I left. I received a penalty notice for £70 so I returned to Aldi store to make a complaint."

He claims the manager at the store "admitted" the parking terminal had been faulty and asked for a receipt as proof he had shopped at the store.

The manager reportedly told him he would get the charge cancelled and Leslie also appealed to Parkingeye, which operates the car park.

Leslie did manage to get the parking fine revoked but said had he not kept his receipt then he would still have been charged.

Juliette Walford, 55, from Foxborough Hill, Eastry, was also hit with a fine at the same car park.

She was issued two within the space of one week.

She said: "My niece and I parked in the Aldi car park on October 15. We popped to the butchers for a pie and then into Aldi for Vino.

"When leaving, my niece added our number plate. A week later I got a Parkingeye letter saying I was in breach.

"I wrote straight away with receipt evidence and then they sent me another fine on October 27."

Parkingeye operates the car park

A Parkingeye spokesperson said: “The car park at Aldi in Deal is monitored by ANPR camera systems and has prominent and highly-visible signs throughout providing guidance on how to use the car park responsibly.

“Both motorists failed to register their vehicle correctly and a result of this they each received a Parking Charge Notice.

“Mr Burgess’ was however cancelled following an appeal after providing evidence that he was a genuine shopper, and we have now also cancelled Ms Sales’ PCN as a gesture of goodwill.

“Parkingeye operates a BPA (British Parking Association) audited appeals process, which motorists can use to appeal their Parking Charge Notice.

"If anyone has mitigating circumstances, we would encourage them to highlight this by appealing.

"All motorists are also entitled to a further appeal via POPLA, the independent body which reviews all cases.”

An Aldi spokesperson said: “We’re not aware of a fault with the parking terminal at our Deal store, but are happy to review all cases where a customer believes a parking fine was issued in error.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/aldi-shopper-hit-70-parking-25421554

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #263 on: 16 January, 2022, 12:49:53 PM »

Couple fined £70 for entering ASDA supermarket and petrol station on the same day

The couple were fined £70 after visiting the supermarket and the petrol station on the same day

A couple were furious after being fined £70 for topping up their car at an ASDA petrol station.

They were accused of staying in ASDA's car park for nearly six hours.

The demand for £70 was sent after a camera error at the Woodchurch supermarket meant the parking systems thought they had been at the site for nearly six hours.

They had actually simply visited the site twice in one day; once to pick up shopping at Asda and again later in the day to get petrol.

But the Parkingeye cameras clocked the vehicle coming in for the Asda shop and leaving the petrol pump hours later leading the system to believe they over stayed the free parking limit by three hours and 44 minutes.

They had to prove they were genuine customers with their receipts and bank statements in order to have the fine cancelled.

In a bid to warn others the couple posted in Crimewatch Wirral and urged people to keep their receipts in case the error happens to someone else, reports the ECHO.

They said: "Just wanted to make people aware, we recently received a £70 parking fine through from ‘ParkingEye’ who are responsible for the parking in Asda, Woodchurch.

"The letter accused us of staying in the car park for five hours and 44 minutes (which we didn’t).

We had visited the store in the morning and then again for petrol in the evening. The cameras had recorded two out of four events and mistakenly had us down as being in the car park the entire time.

"I went into Asda and was told if I could bring the letter and receipts/bank statement into store, they could quash it.

"I didn’t have it with me and so appealed the fine online providing a copy of our bank transactions, and have just received notification to say it’s been cancelled.

"Wanted to make people aware in case the same happens to them."

A spokesperson for Parkingeye confirmed the fine and said they have an appeals process for anyone with "mitigating circumstances".

A spokesperson said: “The motorist’s parking charge notice was cancelled following an appeal after they provided evidence that they were a genuine customer.

“Parkingeye operates a BPA (British Parking Association) audited appeals process, which motorists can use to appeal their Parking Charge Notice.

"If anyone has mitigating circumstances, we would encourage them to highlight this by appealing to Parkingeye."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-fined-70-entering-asda-22745000
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #264 on: 19 January, 2022, 10:15:39 AM »

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #265 on: 19 January, 2022, 07:12:19 PM »
 :pmsl: Absolutely brilliant. It would be nice to see what they say if they bother to reply.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #266 on: 23 January, 2022, 08:41:45 AM »

And still they keep coming...

==================================================

21 January 2022

Sheffield vaccine volunteer wins apology over £70 car park fine

Horizon Parking Ltd sent the penalty charge notice to Mr Biggs on Christmas Eve

A vaccine volunteer wrongly fined £70 after parking in a supermarket car park while on shift has won an apology.

Alan Biggs was charged after parking for four hours in a Tesco car park in Sheffield while volunteering at a nearby church in December.

Mr Biggs appealed saying signs directed vaccine centre users to the car park, but that appeal was rejected by the contractor operating the site.

Tesco said it had since cancelled the fine and apologised to the volunteer.

Mr Biggs, who worked at the centre at St Oswald's Church helping staff administering coronavirus vaccines, said "common sense" had prevailed.

Horizon Parking Ltd, which runs the car park on Abbeydale Road on behalf of Tesco, sent Mr Biggs the parking charge notice on 24 December, detailing a breach of car park regulations it said had taken place on 8 December.

Signs were placed near the Sheffield vaccine centre offering parking at the supermarket

While Mr Biggs did not dispute he parked longer than the three hours maximum stay, he said official signs near the supermarket had offered parking to vaccine centre users.

Mr Biggs appealed against the charge to car park operator Horizon, but in an emailed response the firm said: "The mitigating circumstances detailed in your representations, while unfortunate, cannot be considered valid grounds for appeal."

However, a Tesco spokesperson said an automatic camera system monitored the time limit restriction and Mr Biggs' penalty charge notice would be cancelled.

"This hasn't been an issue for people getting their vaccine, but clearly was in the case of a volunteer who stayed longer than three hours," the spokesperson added.

Journalist and columnist Alan Biggs said "common sense had prevailed" after the charge was rescinded

Mr Biggs said he was grateful Tesco had addressed the issue, but said the contractors to whom he had appealed had been "overzealous".

"All the details that have prompted Tesco to rescind the ticket and apologise were given to Horizon.

"I think their inflexibility needs to be addressed. Not just in this case, but in other cases too, where parking fines are issued and no common sense is used."

Horizon Parking has so far not responded to a BBC request for comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-60071458
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #267 on: 23 January, 2022, 08:56:28 AM »

...and coming...

Driver fined three times in one day for driving out of her street slams parking company

A DRIVER in Yorkshire was fined three times in one day simply for driving out of her street.

By FELIX REEVES, LISA BAXTER
18:16, Fri, Nov 5, 2021 | UPDATED: 19:29, Fri, Nov 5, 2021

Dianne Bakolis, 59, was handed three separate fines when trying to leave the cul-de-sac she lives in. The driver who lives in Brough, Yorkshire received the fines which were worth a total of £120.

She briefly entered the nearby Brough Station car park when making a U-turn in order to avoid traffic.

Ms Bakolis said she often uses the station entrance to make a turn around to skip the congestion on her narrow street.

Despite this, a camera photographed Dianne’s number plate each time she did so.

Several other motorists, including people picking up takeaways or making drop offs at the station, have also been hit with fines.

Apcoa's signage at the Brough train station car park

Drivers doing U-turns on this stretch of Station Road risk being given a parking charge notice.

She was slapped with three £40 fines by the end of the day by the parking firm APCOA.

She said: "Sometimes it's really hard turning around on Station Road, which is a dead end, so I sweep round the car park to make a turn.

"The camera is angled down Station Road, but there's no need to be, as there are no station parking bays there.

"It seems to be it's purely to try and catch people out who aren't even using the car park, they're either dropping off or getting a Chinese.

"I appealed the first one and won, I am now appealing these three I received in one day,” she told Hull Daily Mail.

Other drivers have been targeted at the same spot, with many claiming to have been unfairly given a fine.

Another resident, Penny Coates, said she recently got two fines in one day and another the next morning.

She said: "My daughter lived on Station Road and I would turn around my car at the car park.

“Depending on other traffic, I once or twice pulled into a park space and then waited a few seconds until I was able to reverse out and park further up.

"I have had four tickets issued for this.

“The last one I turned around at the Chinese take away.

“I am now just waiting to hear the outcome of my appeal."

Dianne Bakolis, 59, was handed three separate fines when trying to leave her street.

A spokesperson from APCOA Parking told Hull Daily Mail that they were currently processing the complaint.

They said: “APCOA and our client are aware of a current issue at this site and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

"In the meantime, we encourage anyone who believes they have been incorrectly served with a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) to follow the appeals process so we can respond to their specific case.”

Express.co.uk have reached out to APCOA Parking for further comment.

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #268 on: 23 January, 2022, 09:04:56 AM »

...and coming...

11th January 2022

NHS workers given parking fine at Bolton PCR test centre

By Chloe Wilson  @chloewjourno
News Reporter

A COUPLE who work for the NHS are incensed after being fined for not paying for parking while they were at a drive-through PCR testing service.

Mark Cleary went to the drive-through Covid swabbing service for a PCR test, with his wife Kathryn, at the Lathom carpark, at the Royal Bolton Hospital, after they both tested positive on lateral flow tests.

The couple each works for the NHS so, as per the requirement s for Botlon NHS Foundation Trust staff, they both booked for a PCR test.

But to their surprise they were then fined £70 for being on the car park, even though they were at the testing site.

Mark said: “I drove us both to the drive-through service where we both had our test and subsequently tested positive.

“To my astonishment I received a £70 fine for driving through the designated drive through Covid swabbing service.

“This is disgraceful. Lathom car park is small and is no longer being used as a staff car park but solely as a drive-through Covid swabbing service.

“The fine was given to us by ParkingEye. These cameras should have been disabled. There will be hundreds of staff, and maybe non-staff, who have received these fines.

“Bolton Hospital should be held to account for the actions of ParkingEye, which has operated disgracefully.

“Also being ill from Covid and having to deal with this has added to my stress and anxiety and will be the same for other people.”

A ParkingEye spokesman said, after consulting with the couple: “The Royal Bolton Hospital Lathom authorised staff car park is currently being used as a drive-through test centre for staff and pre-operation patients.

“They have been seeing an unprecedented number of people attending for PCR testing and as a result, waiting times have increased.

“We have taken this all into consideration and the free parking period has now been extended to take into account the high volume of attendees.

“We have also cancelled the parking charge notice received by the motorist.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19835786.nhs-workers-given-parking-fine-bolton-pcr-test-centre/
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #269 on: 23 January, 2022, 09:43:02 AM »

...and coming.

Motorists handed fines for visiting Covid-19 car park test centre

Ben Lynch
Published: 5:13 PM January 17, 2022

NCP has responded to the issue, saying it will "cancel all Parking Charge Notices (PCN) issued over this period" and refund those who have already paid

"Miscommunication" has resulted in penalty charge notices being issued to drivers visiting the Covid-19 testing centre in East Finchley station's car park.

The notices were issued to customers who had failed to purchase a parking ticket, when fees should have been waived for people getting tested.

One driver, Daniel Brick, said: “I got a penalty charge notice from the NCP (National Car Parks) and I realised when I looked at the date and the time it was a drive-in Covid-19 test centre, and I went on the local Facebook group and there’s a whole hoo-ha about it. 

“One person went in with different members of the family and got five of these. So, obviously if it’s a drive-in centre and the instructions from the NHS are not to leave your vehicle, how are you supposed to pay for your parking?”

Daniel said the notice came as a shock, and that it acted as a double-whammy given he was only in the car park due to concerns he had caught the virus.

He said: “It’s bad enough you get Covid-19, but you then get a fine as well for doing what the government tells you in getting tested.”

Cllr Arjun Mittra, a Labour councillor for East Finchley, said: “It is wrong for residents to have been charged for driving into the car park to undertake Covid tests. I have written to TfL asking them to cancel these tickets and look forward to receiving a positive response from them.”

NCP, which operates the car park for TfL, is cancelling all penalty charge notices issued during the time the car park was used as a testing centre.

A TfL spokesperson said: “We can confirm that enforcement should have been suspended whilst the testing was taking place. NCP has cancelled all PCNs issued over this period and any paid PCNs will be refunded directly back to the customer as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused.”

An NCP spokesperson said: “Due to a miscommunication, NCP was not aware of the decision to suspend enforcement over the days the testing was taking place. TfL has confirmed this to be the case and NCP will cancel all PCN issued over this period, and apologises for the concern this has caused.

“All PCNs are now cancelled, and any paid PCNs will be refunded directly back to the customer.”

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/traffic/east-finchley-car-park-covid-19-test-centre-8627490
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player