Author Topic: Canterbury car parks set for ANPR barrier technology  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Canterbury car parks set for ANPR barrier technology
« on: 09 December, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
Canterbury car parks set for ANPR barrier technology as council unveils radical plans

Radical plans to revolutionise car parking in Canterbury City Centre and revamp key historic thoroughfares can today be revealed.

Council chiefs vow there will be NO net reduction in the total number of spaces available to Canterbury’s motorists.

But charges will be bumped up as innovative technology is rolled out to read drivers’ number plates and trigger automatic barriers at every car park.

Cash raised will help fund a series of ‘streetscene’ enhancements on major pedestrian routes within the city walls to match the King’s Mile improvement scheme in Palace Street and Northgate.

Canterbury City Council proposes:

Expansion of Station Road West car park with a new deck – possibly two – to increase capacity by at least 140 spaces.

Axing 140 spaces elsewhere with Rosemary Lane and Hawks Lane car parks set to be sold off to housing developers, together with a section of Longport car park.

Relocating and expanding Wincheap’s park and ride scheme to stretch capacity from 600 to 800 spaces.

Officers admit hourly rates at city centre car parks will creep up in the coming four years.

But extra cash in the pot will pay towards pedestrian improvements in Orange Street, Best Lane, The Friars, St George’s Street and Castle Street.

The authority’s chief insists the plans are not geared to generate revenue but are aimed at making the city a better place to visit.

Council leader Simon Cook said: “Income will be ploughed into making our parking, our transport, our city a much more user friendly place.”

Mr Cook said cutting edge ANPR technology will be brought in at all city centre car parks.

Drivers will only be charged for the time they spend in the car park and will have the option of setting up an account online.

“Ultimately we would want people to be able to park without needing to approach the machine,” he said.

“In the short-term you’ll still be able to pay with cash at the end of your stay.”

A council spokesman later clarified there was no intention to phase out the option of cash payment "in the foreseeable future".

Cllr Cook and council chief executive Colin Carmichael both stressed how the new system would revolutionise the way the city’s car parks are run.

Capacity could be closely monitored with drivers directed to vacant spaces via automated roadside signage.

Motorists could even pre-book a space in a chosen car park online, he said.

“This is at the forefront of what a council can do about its parking,” said Cllr Cook.

Canterbury City Council had come under fire after the previous administration proposed axing swathes of the city centre parking spaces amounting to a 20% loss.

Mr Carmichael said: “We’ve managed to find a way through this which I think works.”

The proposals will be considered by the administration’s policy and resources committee next week before being put to public consultation.

Cllr Cook said: “We’re not planning this behind a curtain to later produce it as a finished product.

“We want to know what people think.”

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/car-parking-set-to-be-47564/

Offline scalyback

• Follower
Re: Canterbury car parks set for ANPR barrier technology
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »
Another brain dead set of money grabbers who don't think of the whole picture... I'll explain...

The sign says "cars and private light goods vehicles only"
The council say, "innovative technology is rolled out to read drivers’ number plates and trigger automatic barriers at every car park."

So... If no residents or visitors ride a motorcycle then fine, otherwise where the hell would I park mine? It has no front number plate and will not trigger barriers that they want on EVERY car park. Also My bike is not a "car or private light goods".

Is this another case of social or vehicle discrimination (You only got a bike so f :o ck off!)?

Waistminster the 2nd!

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
"The authority’s chief insists the plans are not geared to generate revenue but are aimed at making the city a better place to visit."

Not geared to generate revenue, but aimed at making the city a better place? Surely the only way to do this is to generate excess revenue to plough into an infrastructure that makes Canterbury a better place to visit?

Or am I being obtuse?

Anyway, I applaud this council :aplude: for wanting to introduce a system that will prevent any abuse of ticket targets (which we all know do not exist <_>)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »
Of course, if you have an account, the abuse will come when ANPR cameras that don't work properly either thieve money from you bank account or credit card for non existent overstays! And cash payers will be trapped by barriers if drivers don't have enough cash on them, or refuse to pay the excessive charge!  :bashy:

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
Another brain dead set of money grabbers who don't think of the whole picture... I'll explain...

The sign says "cars and private light goods vehicles only"
The council say, "innovative technology is rolled out to read drivers’ number plates and trigger automatic barriers at every car park."

So... If no residents or visitors ride a motorcycle then fine, otherwise where the hell would I park mine? It has no front number plate and will not trigger barriers that they want on EVERY car park. Also My bike is not a "car or private light goods".

Is this another case of social or vehicle discrimination (You only got a bike so f :o ck off!)?

Waistminster the 2nd!

To be fair, half the car parks in Canterbury (including the one in the picture) have dedicated m/c spaces.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
Yes they do and they are free, my point is, how are you going to get a motorcycle in and out if they put barriers up (as they say) at every car park?

It's ok  if the cammies read rear numberplates to open the barriers, but if they read front ones, you would have to push your bike in and out backwards!

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2015, 08:30:23 PM »
Yes they do and they are free, my point is, how are you going to get a motorcycle in and out if they put barriers up (as they say) at every car park?

It's ok  if the cammies read rear numberplates to open the barriers, but if they read front ones, you would have to push your bike in and out backwards!

Well, they say they're "consulting", why not point this out to them? A lot of car parks with m/c spaces make the barriers slightly shorter so that m/c's can ride round.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 12 December, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
Cos after another half hour of searching their website, I still can't find where the consultation is?

I just going to take a saw with me, just in case!

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player