Author Topic: Parking company face Trading Standards investigation  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Parking company face Trading Standards investigation
« on: 08 February, 2016, 12:14:18 AM »
Ooh, looky here. After years of raising revenue standards, yet another BPA Ltd member under the Trading Standards spotlight,

--------------------------------

Probe launched into Bedford 'DIY' parking tickets

Graham Purkiss

TRADING Standards is investigating a company which has allowed residents to hand out their own fines to motorists parking down their street - after BoS alerted the council to the issue.

Last month drivers complained they were being slapped with 'unfair' fines after parking on an 'ambiguous' boundary between a council street and private car park in Sandhurst Place, Bedford.

But residents insist parked cars were blocking rubbish collections. When they complained to the manager of the car park, Parking Ticketing Ltd, they say they were handed ticket books and told to dish out fines for themselves.

One resident told BoS: "The refuse lorry can't get through and rubbish bags are left to pile up by the side of the road. We complained to the company which manages the car park and they told us to hand out parking fines ourselves."

But non-residents say they are being tripped up by a 'total lack of clear signage' over where the private border is.

On January 15, Graham Purkiss, from Flitwick (pictured) was hit with a £100 fine. He said: "I wasn't in a hurry. I had a good look at the sign, and decided I would be safe to park here. I will be fighting this ticket."

On Friday Bedford Borough Council confirmed Trading Standards was investigating the firm. A spokeswoman said: : "We have been notified that Parking Ticketing Ltd are enforcing restrictions on their land, therefore this company has an obligation to make sure that their boundary is clear.

"Our Trading Standards department team have not received any complaints regarding this private company however as a result of this enquiry, our officers are undertaking investigations."

Parking Ticketing Ltd managing director Mario Ireland said: "We provide a valuable service to ensure that authorised users and landowners can park without the small number of motorists that choose to flout regulations."

------------------------------

Here's the spot then. As you can see, the Google car hasn't been around lately but I'll bet there is only a sign on the right and nothing on the left leaving kerbside parkers at the mercy of wannabe weasels.

I'll also posit that the
presence of a £10 bounty might encourage some creative boundary stretching onto the public highway. Didn't Trouserfire ban that sort of thing recently? Or did he just ban UKPC Ltd?

Ewan's interesting facts #72: The Haywards Heath Chief Fire Officer has a Rolls-Royce Celestial Phantom as his official car.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
Re: Parking company face Trading Standards investigation
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2016, 12:43:34 AM »
Parking Ticketing Ltd managing director Mario Ireland said: "We provide a valuable service"

Yeah, £100 quid a time certainly has some value when multiplied up.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
Just in case Trouserfire has any problems finding the relevant parts of the Code of Practice I will put them up here:

15.2 If you provide a service to a customer that allows the customer to issue parking charge notices themselves (‘self-ticketing services’) and you process the tickets, then you are responsible for making sure the customer keeps to the Code. You must provide your customer with an up-to-date copy of the Code and get their signed confirmation that they have read the Code and agree to keep to it.

15.3 You must tell promptly if you intend to provide self-ticketing services. If we or our agent ask you, you must show us the evidence that the customer has agreed to keep to the Code.

Would love to know the last time the company was audited to ensure they have everything in place. I'm guessing NEVER.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/AOS_Code_of_Practice_October_2015_update_V6..pdf
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2016, 06:11:27 PM »
Would love to know the last time the company was audited to ensure they have everything in place.

We know wheel clamping was banned by the Proliferation of Ferrets Act (PoFA 2012) so it was probably some time before that (if ever, as you say).

http://www.parkingticketing.co.uk/index.php/wheel-clamping-introduction.html    :o
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player