Author Topic: Ealing - Connell Crescent $chunt - Tuesday 5th April 2016  (Read 4849 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Ealing - Connell Crescent $chunt - Tuesday 5th April 2016
« on: 08 April, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Roll call (in order of arrival)

A not well at all version of Coco
Me
Mr Mustard
Javabike (yes he's back in this country :D)
Michelle (a German TV producer) and her film crew (whose names escape me, but perhaps someone else can enlighten us)
Jonesy

It was a comparatively early (12.00) start for a CC $chunt, because we had been contacted by a German TV producer with a view to making a short film about the state of the parking industry in London. What had prompted their interest originally was the news that a single parking space in Kensington had sold for a staggering £350k. They had then dug around on the internet and spotted us doing our thing on Parking Mad.

A few phone calls and emails later saw us rocking up at our favourite cafe in Willesden (the New Atlas) to put our side of the story to the cameras. Interestingly, and much to Michelle's amazement and disappointment, not a single council she contacted wanted to take part in her project in any way, shape, or form. I explained that the reason for this is simple. I told her that no matter what they say they cannot glamorise or justify an industry that generates nearly 700 million pounds profits a year in England, based largely on creating human misery. Consequently, their best alternative is to shut up shop and not allow access to any journalists who might start asking awkward questions.

Anyway, the original plan was to do a bit of filming on a quiet side road and then have a ride round to see if we could find a $camera car to assist, following which we would head off to CC to $chunt and film some vox pops. Unfortunately, this plan quickly went out of the window because by the time we had done the interviews it was already after 3.00pm, and poor old Jonesy (who had gone straight to CC and had missed the earlier filming) had phoned to say he was struggling on his own to stop motorists from going down CC.

So it was straight off to CC without any proper $chunting ($camera car hunting) getting done.

On a side note, and although Coco and I saw one Brent $camera car on Tuesday as we arrived at the cafe, I went on a lone $chunt on the previous Saturday to see if I could spot any likely spots where we could find a $car to film/assist. I originally went to Brent and Ealing but had no luck so I tried further afield.

Camden - nothing.
Westminster - nothing
Camden again - nothing
Haringey - nothing
Enfield - nothing

In fact, in the 4 hours I was continually riding around $chunting, I didn't see a single $car. So it was a somewhat disappointed Bald Eagle that returned to his nest to report to Mrs Eagle that his eagle eyes had failed him on this occasion. Either that or they weren't actually using them as much as they used to.

Mrs Eagle sorted out my mood with one simple sentence. "Well that's what you set out to do wasn't it?" She knows how to cheer me up does Mrs E.  <Woohooo> <dancingbanana2> <dancingbanana> <Yes!>

Back to CC.

By the time we got there at about 3.30, Jonesy had failed to persuade a particularly speedy Sainsbury's delivery driver not to go past the signs. Personally speaking, if I had the choice of standing in front of a speeding van that was showing no sign of slowing down, or jumping out of the way like Jonesy did, I would do exactly the same. <Surrender>

So a few vox pops later, with some spectacular saves safely in the can (Mr M's whistle proved useful on a couple of occasions), Michelle and her crew headed off to do some more filming, leaving us to our own devices.

Poor Coco headed off early too, after having arrived looking like death warmed up, only to progressively look worse as the afternoon wore on. Jonesy left fairly early too. He had a hot date. ;)

Javabike cadged a lift with Jonesy back to his bike where he had left it at the cafe. Immediately upon arriving at the cafe his bike had died. It turned out it had run out of electricity due to the alternator not charging the battery. Fortunately he was carrying a fully charged spare and a tool kit, and Coco and I took only a short time to swap batteries. I assume that Java made it back home to Medway before he ran out of electric again? Perhaps he could enlighten us?

It was me and Mr Mustard who stayed until 7.00pm, after which we made our weary and happy way home knowing that we had once again helped with Ealing council's compliance levels, whilst at the same time wondering what we are going to sound like when dubbed into German.

Vorsprung Durch Technik?

P.s. Oi! Jonesy! How about putting some of those pictures you took on Tuesday on here please?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: Ealing - Connell Crescent $chunt - Tuesday 5th April 2016
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »
……………….wondering what we are going to sound like when dubbed into German.

Some German is not entirely dissimilar to English. The German for parking weasel is parken weasel for example. The Germans use the Euro as their currency so wea$el should be translated as w€asel. As for the rest of it you would simply fill in the blanks by carefully studying what is happening on screen.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Mr Mustard

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2016, 09:25:52 AM »
Now what's that old joke. 'Psst do you have any naughty pictures of your wife? No, well do you want some?" which presumably aren't the pictures that BaldEagle wants of Jones's hot date but of the scene at Connell Crescent (except we think it is Western Avenue)?

As excuses go for leaving a $chunt early, a hot date is 100% OK, we are all volunteers after all. Mr Mustard only had to get back, feed two lots of cars for neighbours who are skiing and/or in Norfolk (probably not skiing in Norfolk) find something to eat (cheese & pickle sandwich  as the fridge was a bit empty) and then drive to Enfield and play snooker. Home at 11pm completely cream crackered.

The germs are in for a 'treat' with Mr Mustard's white boots being the subject of a close up. Better than showing my face, lol.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »
Mr Mustard only had to get back, feed two lots of cars for neighbours

Petrol, diesel, electric, hydrogen, or LPG?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Bad Company

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2016, 10:41:27 PM »
Wish I could have joined you all on this one.  I'm back from my travels next week and looking forward to the next $chunt

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
Well done all, I would have loved to have been there but just couldn't manage it!
Looking forward to the finished article.
Top work fellas  <Notworthy> <Thumbsup> :aplude:

PS. Hope all's well and you're feeling tickety boo again Coco
« Last Edit: 16 April, 2016, 12:45:39 PM by Boyo »
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
you're feeling tickety boo again Coco

Feeling much better than 2 weeks ago, thanks Boyo. Now looking forward to a few days in Cornwall with Mrs Coco!

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
Glad to hear it Coco. I've heard the various coves down that way are especially pleasant and I've also heard that they all have car parks where you can leave your car whilst enjoying a nice cuppa nearby with Mrs. Coco.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.