Author Topic: Ealing - Connell Crescent $chunt - Thursday 25th February 2016  (Read 3651 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Ealing - Connell Crescent $chunt - Thursday 25th February 2016
« on: 28 February, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
Roll call:

Coco
Mr Mustard
Bald Eagle

Briefcase man put in his usual smiling appearance as he walked between Park Royal tube station (Piccadilly Line) and Hanger Lane tube station (Central Line), and confirmed that when we are not there he witnesses a steady stream of cars transgressing. So much for effective enforcement. :bashy:

We were busy right from the off, with me having to stop someone just as we arrived at the stroke of one minute past three. It was looking to be an average sort of a day, right up to about six 'o' clock when a traffic cop car pulled round the corner with lights flashing (no woo woos) and parked up just before the junction where we were stood in the road forming a physical barrier.

On past $chunts we witnessed cops being called to Mr Mustard's favourite clothes shop Bodens because of suspected shoplifters, and we naturally assumed this was more of the same. So it was a bemused trio who witnessed a smiling driver get out of his police car and wander slowly towards us. We didn't have a chance to ask “Is there a problem officer” because he immediately said something along the lines “Nothing to worry about guys. I haven't got a problem with what you are doing, but I have been asked to pop along to see what you're up to because someone in the CCTV control room has reported that you may be putting yourself in danger by stepping out in the road to speak to drivers.”

All the time he said this, and indeed throughout our long and very interesting conversation with him, he was all smiles and apologies for what he clearly saw as a complete waste of police time. He was obviously completely aware of what we were doing and how we do it, and knew full well that the last thing we would do is put ourselves in any danger just because some twat doesn't want to stop for a chat in order avoid a ticket.

At one point we were standing on the pavement giving our assurances to the officer that we would stick to the pavement whenever possible and would definitely not be throwing ourselves under the wheels of cars to stop drivers getting tickets, when a car flashed past us and proceeded towards the signs. This bought a chorus of “whoa, whoa, whoas!” from me and Mr M, and a blast from Coco's trusted Acme Thunderer, all of which saw the car pull up in line with the signs.

In order to demonstrate that we are acutely aware of the traffic around us, I made a great play of checking the road for any sign of any lethal looking vehicles, before strolling up to the driver's window and explaining to him exactly what the situation was. The driver thanked me profusely and reversed out under my supervision, all of which I did whilst standing in the road.

Upon returning to the still chatting policeman he gave no indication whatsoever that what I had just done was in any way dangerous to myself or others. In fact, he didn't say anything about the whole incident and seemed more intent on getting back to the station so that he could eat his recently purchased kebab in peace, while it was still warm.

After waving him a cheery goodbye we went back to $chunting, but this time we tried to stick to the pavement as much as possible. We didn't want to see the poor man called out again by the CCTV crew who were obviously seeing something that wasn't there in the first place.

However, the whole thing did get us thinking about the CCTV cameras and their operators, and in particular the motivation of the council employees who monitor them in the central control room to call the cops to a situation that has passed without incident on numerous previous occasions.

I'm pleased to say that, as usual, and whatever the motivation, Her Majesty's police are not interested in stopping law abiding citizens from helping councils achieve their stated aim of “100% compliance without penalties” which, incidentally, was exactly what we achieved on the day.

I'm not sure whether the CCTV controllers or their employers were quite as pleased though. <Owned>
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Overlord

• Follower
Re: Ealing - Connell Crescent $chunt - Thursday 25th February 2016
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
It seems pretty obvious to me, that the CCTV operators were hoping the police would move you on, thereby preserving their ticket toll for that and perhaps several other days. Well they've well and truly failed on this occasion. Lets' hope the next time they do that, they get done for wasting police time. Good work guys.
 <Thumbsup>
« Last Edit: 28 February, 2016, 03:05:03 PM by Overlord »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »
It wasn't Ealing Council who called, and you're final paragraph is absolutely correct.

Sounds like a good afternoon's work  :aplude:

Offline Mr Mustard

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 28 February, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »
I was slightly late to the scene as there are three no right turns outside the New Atlas Cafe (one of which we used to do ourselves, we think, but the camera is forward facing so we never did find out our bikes not having front number plates) and an employee of a software supplier from 20 years ago found me on the internet having turned right out of Craven Park Rd into St Thomas's Road and got himself a PCN in the post, so I needed to take some measurements and photos. It is such a small world nowadays.

The pleasing news of the day was that not a single car got past us. Very nearly but not quite. That fact is totally unrelated to Ealing Council's obvious concern for our health or my 100% record at London Tribunals at this location.

Thanks to Colin for the multiple extra strong mints (they did help to stave off the cold, my thermals not reaching beyond the ankle - no, don't think about it) and to the man who is clearing the nearby closed hotel building for the hot drink in a proper ceramic mug.

Offline Bad Company

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 29 February, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »
Sorry I missed that $chunt now.  Sounds like fun. 

Nice one guys.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #5 on: 29 February, 2016, 07:08:02 PM »
Nicely done gentlemen and I'm sure that the parking manager is delighted that you were able to help out. I like how the operators are so concerned for your safety now that they sent the nice policeman round to ensure nothing happened to you. I guess their jobs are a lot easier with you around so it is in their interests to look after you.

As a side note, long term NoToMob member Ken Hanslip works over the road at Westgate. Why not drop him a pm next time you're out and invite him to a bit of $chunting. He'll be delighted to hear from you.  :rotfl:

<Muahahaha>      <Biglaugh>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.