Author Topic: Pensioner hit with £161 fine for parking on “event day” when no event took place  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Cambuslang pensioner hit with £161 fine for parking on an “event day” despite no
event taking place.

ANNE Shields was stunned when she was given a fine after spending three and a half hours in a car park that had signs saying she had free parking for four hours.

Anne Shields from Cambuslang is pictured with her parking fine

A pensioner from Cambuslang was hit with a fine for £161.55 after parking in a car park on an “event day” despite no event taking place.

Anne Shields of Greenlees Gardens, went to do her shopping at the Forge Retail Park from 3.58pm to 7.27pm on December 10,

But 63-year-old Anne was stunned when she received a letter from the company, Smart Parking, who fined her £90 for overstaying in the car park by an hour and 31 minutes.

Anne is adamant shoppers are permitted a stay for four hours, although signs at the car park state this is only two hours when there is an event happening at the Commonwealth Arena and Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome or at Celtic Park.

But the Reformer can reveal that no match or event took place that evening as Celtic FC were playing away from home and a spokesman for Glasgow Life confirmed “it was normal operations at the Glasgow Emirates Arena”.

Anne was given the chance to reduce the fine to £45 if she paid it within two weeks but she appealed the decision.

But one month later, she received another letter that stated she must now pay £160 because the fine payment had risen.

The document “put the fear of death,” into her and she paid the fine straight away.

Anne is still shaken by the ordeal which added to an unfortunate few months after her mother passed away on October 14 and her house had been damaged by Storm Gertrude in January.

She said: “I parked there on December 10 and went to do some shopping at Marks and Spencers and Tesco.

“It gives you four hours free parking and I could see that in bold writing on the sign. I wasn’t in there for four hours.

“In the small piece of writing at the bottom of the sign it says that you only have two hours free parking on matchdays or event days.

“On December 23 I received a letter telling me to pay the £90 but I wrote to them on Boxing Day to appeal it.

“After a month I then got a letter back from a debt collection company asking me to pay £160.

“It put the fear of death into me because I haven’t ever had anything like this before so I paid it.

“For a pensioner £160 is a lot of money. I’ve had a horrendous Christmas with this fine and my mother passing away in October.

“I think the whole thing is ridiculous. The writing is so small and it was not well lit so I couldn’t see what it read.

“I feel so annoyed because so many people are unaware of this.”

A spokeswoman for Smart Parking denied they received any appeal from Anne and claimed the signs had actually been changed four days after her visit to the Forge

She added: “As Smart Parking did not receive an appeal from Mrs Shields the parking charge notice remained outstanding until payment was received. There are 73 signs at Forge Retail Park clearly stating the terms and conditions on-site.

“Smart Parking abides by the British Parking Association Code of Conduct, and we operate a clear and fair appeals procedure. We would encourage any motorist to appeal if they feel there are genuine mitigating circumstances in their case.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/cambuslang-pensioner-hit-161-fine-7476326#

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
I would be inclined to take Smart :rotfl: Parking Ltd's advice and appeal with one of my many template appeals. This next one suits the particular location,

Dear Bawbags,

Your sPeCulative iNvoice (PCN) has been rejected. Here are your options,
1. F :o ck you, there's no keeper liability in Scotland.

(dis)Regards

The Registered Keeper

That should do the trick.  :P

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player