Author Topic: Chippenham Railway Station Car Park - PCN advice sort  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
Chippenham Railway Station Car Park - PCN advice sort
« on: 16 April, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
Greetings all,
May I impose on you stout yeomen for some advice please?
A very good friend of mine regularly uses Chippenham railway station and, as usual, tried to park his car there earlier this week. Unfortunately he found that the ticket machine was not accepting credit/debit cards and, as he was running a bit tight for time and didn't have the requisite change, he thought he'd use the pay by phone facility. No problem, you would think but because he was in his wife's car, as his was indisposed, the system would not recognise the registration number that is "tied" to his credit card. I believe he spoke to an operator (although it may have been an automated system) who suggested that he text in the new vehicle's reg (ie his wife's car) in order to pair it with his payment card. This he did and thought nothing more of it. On his return to the car park later in the day he found a £50 PCN attached to the car! W:T:F:  :o I believe he said the car park is run by APCOA. In retrospect, he doesn't remember receiving a confirmation text after sending in the new registration number but in the heat of trying to catch a train and not being allowed to pay for his parking in the usual way, it didn't really occur to him until he saw the PCN. He doesn't dispute having to pay the £4.10 parking charge, in fact he's actively tried to do this, but he's obviously a bit aggrieved by the £50 speculative invoice since plonked on his windscreen. Any advice on what happens next and as to how he should proceed would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance,
Boyo
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Chippenham Railway Station Car Park - PCN advice sort
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
Slightly confusingly, Chippenham station has (according to APCOA) 4 car parks, one of which is for season ticket holders only, and none of which has a £4.10 tariff, although one has a £4 option which could be increased to £4.10 by including the "convenience charge" that most pay by phone operators levy.

Your friend needs to check his bank account to see if the payment has been taken as a first step.

« Last Edit: 16 April, 2016, 03:45:12 PM by DastardlyDick »

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
Your friend should not contact the parking company and not reveal to them who the driver was.  They should check whether railway bylaws are in effect.  We can then give better advice.
« Last Edit: 16 April, 2016, 11:02:25 PM by BGB »

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2016, 05:05:47 PM »
 <Yeahthat> Yup, exactly what M'learned BGB said. I had to chastise one of my clients for responding to a windscreen begging letter and telling them that she was the driver  <Smack>  In the meantime, your mate could send you a clear image of the car park signage (if there is any) and we can rip into it whilst we are waiting for the Notice To Keeper to arrive.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2016, 08:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the speedy and helpful replies fellas - it's very much appreciated.  <Thumbsup>
I shall pass them on and see if I can get him to take some pics of the signage.
So just to be clear, as my addled brain is not what it once was,  :schucks: not only should he check to see whether the money's been debited from his card, he should wait for the Notice to Keeper to appear and under no circumstances contact the weasels before hand (doubly so in not telling them he was the driver?)
Many thanks
Boyo
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2016, 10:58:35 PM »
Boyo

Correct.  And edit your posts to not reveal who was driving, eg "the driver parked the car" not "He parked his car"
« Last Edit: 16 April, 2016, 11:00:54 PM by BGB »

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2016, 11:14:40 PM »
Thanks BGB, that's brilliant - will pass that on.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player