Author Topic: Merton/Mitcham Yellow Box Trap.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Rintintin

• Civilian
Merton/Mitcham Yellow Box Trap.
« on: 23 May, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm new to here.
Here is a trap that I have watched evolve,I've been driving through here for 30 years.
Recently a number of changes to the road layout have occurred here,all of which draw unsuspecting motorists into the trap.
My F.O.I. request shows that between 04/2015 and 04/2016...
1217 pcns were served.
10 were cancelled.
This netted £82,674.
Average £226.50 per day.
My biggest gripe with this junction is the devious placing of the zebra,there is only room for 2 and a half cars also cars politely stop for people who need to use the crossing.
Polite people get fined all day long here and not just for the crossing.
Its a bit complicated to explain on here,there are no fixed cameras and only one obscure camera sign.
The camera car likes to hide in front of a Transit van that I suspect is council owned as it is only parked there when the camera cars are there.
I also believe that the traffic is manipulated deliberately so that the whole road is a slow moving queue for no apparent reason.
Oddly enough the camera cars have not been there since my F.O.I. request.
I believe this is underhand and the junction needs to be redesigned and I have ended up on your site for advice on how to go about this.
Also Merton is not on your list of councils,can you add it?.
I am a motorcyclist that has been going through there for 30 years.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Merton/Mitcham Yellow Box Trap.
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:21:12 AM »
Hello Rintintin (a name I haven't heard in years) and welcome.

I believe there is a simple solution to the problem, but you may have some trouble persuading the council to adopt it. Councils are notoriously obstinate when it comes to interrupting the flow of money from a cash cow.

Having looked at the road layout I can see that there would be ample room to either (a) move the zebra crossing further down the road; (b) shorten the yellow box or; (c) do both.

Did you know there is now a provision for members of the public to petition councils to review parking policies?

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409815/150305_-_Guidance_on_Parking_Reviews_FINAL.pdf

Although this scheme is designed for matters related to parking, I believe it would be unreasonable for a council to refuse to deal with a petition relating to moving traffic violations in the same way. And if they did refuse, you should consider dobbing them in to the Secretary of State (we could help with this) for acting unreasonably in relation to the valid concerns of members of the public.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player