Author Topic: Cardigan traders want free parking to boost business  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Cardigan traders want free parking to boost business
« on: 24 May, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
Cardigan traders want free parking to boost business

Traders experienced a boom in business when the parking machines were out of order

A protest has been held in a bid to secure free parking in a Ceredigion market town.

Around 40 traders and shoppers marched through the centre of Cardigan on Wednesday calling for two hours of free parking for visitors.

Local shops said their trade increased by up to 20% last year when parking machines in the town's four car parks were vandalised and out of use.

Ceredigion council said parking charges must be "consistent" in all towns.

A candlelit vigil was held outside the Guildhall by small business owners and local people who support the free parking campaign

The march was led by the chairman of Cardigan Traders, Martyn Radley, who has called on Ceredigion council to give local traders "a level playing field" with out-of-town businesses.

Ceredigion council said the matter had been discussed and the view is that "parking charges must be applied consistently across all towns within Ceredigion".

The council added the charges are necessary both in terms of covering the cost of providing car parking facilities and helping to meet the "extraordinary financial pressures" facing the authority.

Traders have vowed to continue their campaign for free parking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-36275805

Offline BGB

• Follower
Re: Cardigan traders want free parking to boost business
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
"The council added the charges are necessary both in terms of covering the cost of providing car parking facilities and helping to meet the "extraordinary financial pressures" facing the authority."

Really?

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: Cardigan traders want free parking to boost business
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:29:42 PM »
Hmm…….  <thinking>    The Council spokesweasel needs to read the Council's own website before he/she/it submits his/she's/it's weasel words to the press. The baastards won't let me link to their poxy website so we'll have to do it the hard way. Google 'ceredigion council', click 'your council', then 'resident' tab, 'travel roads and parking', 'parking & civil enforcement', 'annual parking report', then finally, phew!, click the annual report 2013 - 2014, and scroll down to 2.0 Civil Parking Enforcement in Ceredigion, 2.1 Aims and Objectives, bullet point 5,

"Support the local economy by ensuring a turnover of the free time limited parking spaces available."

Once you have finished banging your head against the wall, then scroll further down to 3.0, the central paragraph,

"Parking charges are variable and designed to reflect both the nature of the car park and its location. Variable charging is a tool that enables the Authority to encourage use of particular car parks, especially by commuters and all day visitors."

That doesn't seem to accord with "parking charges must be 'consistent' in all towns" You may want to stop there as 4.0 will really piss you off, "Ceredigion County Council’s Parking Service is one that is supported by enforcement rather than led by enforcement.* Contrary to popular belief……………." One has to wonder how popular belief came to be popular belief in the first place. Any ideas?

*their bold by the way. Ordinarily, I would bold stupid statements but I was beaten to it on this occasion.

:bashy:
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player