Author Topic: Heath Parade/Grahame Park Way (Barnet) $chunt 24 June 2016 - PCM UK Ltd  (Read 22771 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
This location has been attracting a great deal of attention on other parking websites and blogs recently (Mr Mustard blogged about it here: http://lbbspending.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/predatory.html and there is a thread on Pepipoo here: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=103550&st=0 ), and since it is being enforced by a parking weasel company as opposed to a local authority, I am pleased to say that me and Mr Mustard were privileged to have undertaken the first ever private parking weasel $chunt by NoToMob members.

In order to understand how the parking weasel employee (see attached pictures below) plies her dubious trade you need to understand the layout, so here is a long view of the area on Googlemaps.

Our informants told us that the parking weasel employee (I will call her Ms Sunglasses for now) is in the habit of hiding round the corner by the Sainsburys Direct shop, and when she sees a car pull up she pops out from her hiding place to take a photo on her hand held digital camera.

On arrival there was no sign of Ms Sunglasses, but we thought we'd hang around to see if she would turn up. We weren't disappointed, nor were we surprised when we saw a car pull into the loading bay, only to have its photo taken by an emerging Ms Sunglasses before the driver had even had a chance to get out of the car to read the 9.5 foot high signs.

In fact the driver didn't even get out of the car (for whatever reason) and chose to drive off instead. No doubt he/she will receive a ticket through the post at some point in which a demand for payment of £100 is made for breach of contract, even though no contract could have possibly been entered into due to the fact THE DRIVER NEVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ THE SIGNS AND THEREBY ENTER INTO ANY CONTRACT!  <bashy2> :bashy:

This is one of many reasons (in my opinion) why no Parking Charge Notice will ever be enforceable at this honeypot, but I will let others more knowledgeable than me deal with those. On with the $chunt report.

Having observed Ms Sunglasses getting up to her nasty little tricks, we decided to assist her with motorist compliance levels. It was as we approached the bay that I took the photographs attached. It is part of the IPC's Code of Practice that its members should not indulge in predatory practices like those me and Mr M had just witnessed, so I reasoned that it would not be unreasonable to take a photo of Ms Sunglasses (we don't know her name - yet ;) ) and put it on our forum for the record, just in case a victim wants to point this out to the appropriate authority.

We deployed ourselves on the corner of the loading bay so that we could keep an eye on both it, and Ms Sunglasses if she hid round the corner, and we waited for the fireworks. Would she confront us? Would she call the police and get them to confront us? Would she call the boys in and get them to confront us? Needless to say we were prepared for all of the above and had our own plans to deal with whatever came our way, apart from what actually did. But more of that later.

So there we all were, standing on the corner together, carefully ignoring each other while Ms Sunglasses spoke to someone on the phone. After about 15 minutes of us shooing motorists away from the loading bay and her being constantly on the phone, we returned from educating yet another motorist to find both the lady and the sunglasses gone, without a word or even a wave goodbye. How rude! ;D

We searched around to see if she was hiding and ready to return if we left, but she had disappeared without a trace. However, just in case she had been able to hide from us we resolved to hang around and educate motorists for a while, and that's when the unexpected happened.

A driving instructor had told his pupil to pull over into the loading bay and Mr M went to instruct him in the error of his ways, while I stayed on the corner waiting to educate the next potential victim. It was after a little while that I heard a raised voice and I turned round to witness the instructor swinging his car door (still attached) at Mr M who was, at the time, taking a photo of the instructor's advert which was stuck by magnets on said door.

Turns out that this idiot had got hold of the wrong end of the stick and thought we were telling him he couldn't park there, as opposed to what we were doing which was advising him that he might want to think about stopping there in the future due to the antics of Ms Sunglasses. He was positively incandescent with rage and ranting by the time I got there and was shouting the odds about his right not to have his photo taken, or any photos of his car or driving school details taken without his permission. He was adamant that a policeman would tell us the same thing.

It probably didn't help that both me and Mr M were smiling at him and completely in control of our emotions during the whole of his rant. In fact it probably wound him up even more that we were not in the least bit intimidated by him or his threats of fetching a copper and, in fact, were inviting him to pop across the road to the local police station (it's about 100 yards away) to get a policeman who could advise us of our rights. His problem was that, unlike him we know exactly what our rights are.  <Owned>

I will let Mr M give you his own account of his encounter with Mr Shouty Driving Instructor, and perhaps he will share the photos he took (illegally according to Mr Shouty) of the car and driving school details?

After about an hour and a half of educating drivers, and with no sign of the return of Ms Sunglasses we called it a day and returned home with a resolve to go and find the owner of the sunglasses, or any of her colleagues, as often as possible.

Anyone who fancies a trip to sunny Barnet can contact me and I will be happy to arrange a $chunt (sunglasses and camera hunt).  ;D

8)

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
PCM's case was exploded by M'learned Bargepole when he lined them up in court, trousers down, fist in, pound pound pound.  :o

As reported by M'learned Pranky and then shamelessly plagiarised in this thread here.

Clicky this linky here to see the BMPA report on the same subject. There is a link at the bottom of the page to download the 'High Wycombe three approved judgement'.

These cases of course involved the vehicles being left for a considerable amount of time. The Heath Parade wheeze usually involves vehicles stopped just barely long enough for sunglasses weasel to get a picture. Even if the driver exits the vehicle to read the sign (with his binoculars) and then leaves, he would be said to have rejected any contractual terms (not that there were any contractual terms).

I doubt you would need M'learned Bargepole's help with any sPeCulative iNvoice for this location.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
"Parking conditions apply"...
"No parking at any time"...

If there is no parking at any time, then parking conditions do not apply as you cannot be parking, only stopping.

Offline Mr Mustard

• Follower
No-one who gets into a rage as quickly as Mr Shouty (not to be confused with Mr Shouty at Connell Crescent, we seem to attract these types, is it us?) should be allowed to get behind the wheel of a car let alone teach others to drive. His pregnant lady pupil stayed very calm. She had stopped in a loading bay under the not very watchful eye of a driving instructor in order to use the cashpoint, presumably to pay him with the money thus obtained.

I did indeed take a photo of his advert, clearly so that I could tell other potential clients of his fantastic calmness, knowledge of the Highway Code (he offered me a copy but I told him I already had the latest one, 2015, which I do) and legal knowledge (remind me who argues parking law with qualified legal adjudicators every week and won 7 out of 7 last time and 8 out of 8 the time before; no, don't remind me of Connell Crescent, I am writing the review request today) but actually just so I knew who I was talking to. Some people just don't know how lucky they are. If Ms Sunglasses had sneaked a photo he would have got an invoice for £100 in the post but I expect he would have fed it through the shredder.

Now I know that the instructor is called Carlos Pereira. Here is a link to the website http://www.cpdriving-lessons.co.uk/ (10 hours tuition is 8p more expensive than 2 lots of 5 hours?) and a picture of the dear boy himself.

From his website, call the ASA, this is a pack of lies:

During lessons: your instructor will ensure that you always drive obeying the UK Highway Code however, it is your responsibility as well to respect Red traffic Lights, Speed cameras, Bus lanes operating times or other driver errors. Fail to do so you could be made liable and charged with a penalty charge and/or points added to your Licence and your details passed on to the Authorities.

If anyone wants to email him perhaps to ask if it is OK to park in a loading bay during a driving lesson in order to use the cashpoint you can use this address safedriver2007@gmail.com (brilliant, if you copy and paste that email address from his website it leaves the 'r' out).

What else does his website offer? Patient, sensitive and professionally qualified. I question the first two descriptions.

Anyway, his reason why he wasn't parked in contravention was that the keys were still in the ignition and he was in the car so he was wasn't parked. That's funny, the car was on the ground and stationary. In the words of the highly experienced adjudicator, Mr Edward Houghton, stopping is waiting is parking.

Sadly we never got to the end of our conversation because cash point pupil returned and Mr Shouty shouted that he had work to do and so did we.

It was a lovely afternoon. We also know something about one of the cars which remained in the loading bay for most of our visit but we'll save that for another day once we have had a chat with the owner.
« Last Edit: 28 June, 2016, 11:33:30 AM by Mr Mustard »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Apologies if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious, but has anyone checked to see if this loading bay is or is not part of the public highway?

Offline Mr Mustard

• Follower
It was part of the planning permission that it would be but the council have not yet formally adopted it. I have been pressing the parking manager to get Highways to do something about it and told a local councillor. In my spare time I herd cats.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
Private weasel invoices are bastardised based on the principle of a contract with the driver. I wonder if sunglasses weasel had caught Mr Shouty, would he have then thrown his pupil to the wolves weasels and then shouted at her (in a patient and sensitive way)?

<thinking>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
It the old Bernard Manning term  "Shoutity-shout" still valid? Shoutitiy-shout-shout!

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
It the old Bernard Manning term  "Shoutity-shout" still valid? Shoutitiy-shout-shout!

I think that it has now been updated to "Shouty McShoutface"   :rotfl:

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower

W:T:F: does this mean?

I assume that if a delivery driver finishes his delivery to Sainsbury's and then decides to purchase a refreshing cold drink to slake his thirst he would, according to this sign, be entitled to a ticket courtesy of Ms Sunglasses?

And a customer of whom exactly? Anyone who has ever handed over cash to another for services or goods was, and still is a customer. Consequently, no one can park in the bay, and that includes delivery drivers.

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
That M'learned Eagle is an offer of contractual terms. The landowner appears to be keeping this area clear so that non customers can park for as long as they like. Although selfish customers can of course park without there being any charge or penalty. At worst you are likely to be in for a condescending gaze from a parking weasel.

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
I know I'm being pedantic but aren't you misunderstanding the true meaning of that sign? My understanding is that you cannot park a customer at any time.Therefore you can park your motorcar car there for free!

Offline Parking Prankster

• Follower
Re: Heath Parade/Grahame Park Way (Barnet) $chunt 24 June 2016 - PCM UK Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
There is a court claim for this site. Hearing 2pm 8th August Willesdon.
I have referred the defendant to this site in case any information here proves useful.

He has some pictures of Ms Sunglasses too

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »
In that case Pranky, I don't think it would do the defendant's case any harm if he took along a copy of the VCS -v- Ibbotson judgement as referred to here http://notomob.co.uk/discussions/index.php?topic=2793.msg21758#msg21758, and attached below for ease of reference.

Ms Sunglasses has every chance to mitigate the company's loss but refuses to do so.

A toothbrush may be in order.  ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
Maybe someone should raise the matter with Genesis Housing Association who are building that estate (and who's logo appears on the sign) and tell them what (presumably) their contractor is up to. They have a "liaison office" just up the road.
I parked there yesterday and no sign of Ms Sunglasses, so I reckon I got away with it  <Woohooo>

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player