Author Topic: PCN with invalid registration number  (Read 3788 times)

Offline treicadani

• Follower
PCN with invalid registration number
« on: 26 February, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »
Hello,

On Saturday i have been with my girlfriend to St. Helens Claughton street disabled car park which is just behind Wilko store. We had the disabled badge displayed correctly on the windscreen and there are no boards around the car park with information like maximum stay or anything like that to be visible. So we arrived around 11 AM and at 1 PM when we returned to the car we had a PCN on the windscreen with the message "parked in a designated disabled person's parking place without displaying a valid disabled person's badge in the prescribed manner" and the Registration number on the PCN is incorrect.

Is my first time receiving a PCN and don't have experience of What should i do. So, will i challenge the PCN or? Any advice is welcome.

Many thanks,

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: PCN with invalid registration number
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
Having checked Googlemaps it appears this is a Penalty Charge Notice issued by the council.

I believe that the fact the wrong registration number appears on the ticket is what is termed a "procedural impropriety" and will mean that any appeal will succeed, but I will check this out and get back to you.

Please bear with me and whatever you do, DON'T PANIC!

P.s. I have removed your name from your original post, as we do not advise putting up any personal details on our very public forum
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline treicadani

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
Okay thank you very much, i will be patient.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:47:49 PM »
Having sought the advice of our expert (Mr Mustard) on council PCNs he has confirmed that if it is the wrong registration number then you can safely ignore it and you will not be hearing from the council any further.

I was wondering however, is the number only slightly different from yours, e.g. ABC 124 instead of ABC 123, or is it entirely different?

The reason I ask is because I suspect that some unscrupulous driver (and that's putting it nicely) has removed the PCN he/she had received on his/her car and stuck it onto your windscreen in the hope that you wouldn't spot it and would pay up.

On the other hand if it is a simple mistake by the traffic warden, and you were indeed displaying a valid blue badge, then justice will be served in any event because you were not entitled to receive the PCN.

Please let us know which it is.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline treicadani

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:58:26 PM »
The registration number was slightly different instead of W was E and instead of O was 0, the make and color match the PCN.

I believe i can then challenge the PCN by writing to them stating that i do not own the vehicle with the registration on the PCN?

Many thanks

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »
In that case there is no need to challenge the PCN because the council will realise their mistake when trying to send you a notice to owner.

The notice to owner is issued after 28 days if you do not appeal. In order to issue a NTO the council need to access your details on the DVLA database by putting in your registration number. When they try this, one of three things will happen.

1. They will find the number does not exist or;
2. The number does exist but it belongs to a car which is not the same make and/or colour
3. The number does exist but, by remarkable coincidence it belongs to a car which is the same make and/or colour

I suspect it is going to be option 1, but there is an easy way to check this.

Click on this link and enter the car reg details on the ticket: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Please let us know the results and I will advise further
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »
The registration number was slightly different instead of W was E and instead of O was 0, the make and color match the PCN.

I believe i can then challenge the PCN by writing to them stating that i do not own the vehicle with the registration on the PCN?

Many thanks
[/quote

Many thanks
The W instead of E is enough to invalidate the PCN on it's own, but had the O instead of 0 been the sole error, the PCN would still have been OK.
Hang on to the PCN for a month or so just in case - in the unlikely event you get a Notice to Owner, you can simply write to the Council as you suggested, or, if you wish, tell them that your vehicle (give correct Reg.) was not parked in that place at that time. They cannot lawfully correct the error and isssue another PCN.
It would appear that the CEO either needs to visit specsavers, or has sausage fingers!
Hope that helps.
p.s
just out of interest, were you displaying a Blue Badge?

Offline treicadani

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »
It is option 1, no results found.

I have had the badge on, as i thought is council owned the car park as i couldn't see any sign on time limit boards so i did not display the timer, but when i looked on the google maps i saw a board on a tree not clearly visible.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »
It is option 1, no results found.

I have had the badge on, as i thought is council owned the car park as i couldn't see any sign on time limit boards so i did not display the timer, but when i looked on the google maps i saw a board on a tree not clearly visible.

In that case you can safely ignore it in the knowledge that no one else will get a notice to owner by mistake. DD is right when he says they cannot reissue the ticket with your reg number on it, but if they do please let us know and we'll set Mr Mustard on them.

He takes no prisoners.  ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline treicadani

• Follower
« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:55:51 AM »
I am happy to let you know guys that the PCN has been cancelled.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Regards

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
All's well that ends well.  :D
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:46:02 PM »
Indeed. It would appear that St. Helens Council know how to run their Parking Enforcement properly. Wonder if they've been contracted out?

Offline dangerous beanz

• Follower
« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
Indeed. It would appear that St. Helens Council know how to run their Parking Enforcement properly. Wonder if they've been contracted out?
They will be.
If there is a tourist season...how come we can't shoot them?

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player