Author Topic: Man fined £70 [by ParkingEye Ltd] for being one second over his parking limit  (Read 1822 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
The BPA Ltd's current code of practice states:

Clause 13.2 and 30.2 - If the parking location is one where parking is normally permitted, you must allow the driver a reasonable grace period in addition to the parking event before enforcement action is taken.  In such instances the grace period must be a minimum of 10 minutes. [Emphasis added]

And the industry wonders why the Government wants to clamp down on them...

==================================

Man fined £70 for being one second over his parking limit at hospital

Kevin received a letter telling him his VW had overstayed the 20 minutes free parking limit, because he was 20 minutes and one second over. Credit: Wales News Service

A man has been fined £70 for being one second over his parking limit at a hospital.

Kevin Williams, 32, stopped in the car park to take a distressed woman to hospital, and sat with her as she waited to go in.

But weeks later he received a letter telling him his VW had overstayed the 20 minutes free parking limit, because he was 20 minutes and one second over.

The hospital car park camera caught him arriving at 12.19 and 53 seconds - and leaving at 12.39 and 54 seconds.

Kevin said: "I couldn't believe my eyes. Where is the compassion to fine someone for just one second at a hospital."

He appealed the fine - but was told he would still have to pay.

The hospital car park camera caught him arriving at 12.19 and 53 seconds - and leaving at 12.39 and 54 seconds. Credit: Wales News Service

Kevin told how he was leaving Llandough Hospital, near Cardiff, when he came across the woman.

Kevin said he waited with the woman for a short while until he found a nurse who could accompany her so he could get back to his car.

"A few weeks later, I received a fine from ParkingEye stating I was in the 20-minute max area for a total of 20 minutes and one second", he said.

“I appreciate it’s all generated from camera and computers so I put an appeal in and explained what happened.

“I was surprised to find that they rejected my appeal.

“I went to POPLA (Parking on Private Land Appeals) but they rejected my appeal too and even wrote, 'by the defendant’s own admission, he stayed in the area.'

“Of course, I admitted to it. I was telling you what happened.”

Kevin, of Penarth, near Cardiff, has "reluctantly" paid the fine as he does not want to incur any further costs.

A ParkingEye spokeswoman said: “Our clients’ parking, in areas such as hospitals, needs to be monitored to ensure that patients can effectively access services.

"We encourage people who have received a parking charge to appeal if they think there are mitigating circumstances.

“If a driver disagrees with our decision, they have the option to appeal to the independent appeals service. In this case the driver did appeal to POPLA, who upheld our original decision.”

A POPLA spokeswoman said: "This is an unfortunate circumstance, and it can be frustrating when you receive a parking charge notice that you feel is unfair.

"While POPLA is unable to allow an appeal based purely on mitigating circumstances, we are able to refer the circumstances back to the operator to ask it to consider the information/evidence in order to decide if it wishes to continue pursuing the motorist for the parking charge.

"In some instances, the operators will cancel the charge after seeing the mitigating circumstances while in others, the operator may feel the evidence is not sufficient or there is another factor which means it wishes to continue pursuing the parking charge.

"If it is the latter, the appeal will be passed back to POPLA and we will need to make a determination as to whether the parking charge is valid based on the other aspects of the appeal.”

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2018-04-13/man-fined-70-for-being-one-second-over-his-parking-limit-at-hospital/
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline scalyback

• Follower
well there you go Parking Sty, I certainly could not spare you one second!

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player