Author Topic: Rotherhithe Tunnel - New restrictions enforcement  (Read 4381 times)

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
Rotherhithe Tunnel - New restrictions enforcement
« on: 23 March, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »
I have used the tunnel four times this week and today got a PCN through the post for the first of those passages; I'm therefore expecting a flurry of additional ones in the next week!

It seems they are now enforcing those updated changes and having changed this month from a 3.5 tonne (GVW) Volvo XC90 to a VW T32 Transporter with a capacity of 3.2 tonnes (GVW) I have fallen fouls of the fact that it is a commercial and is therefore a legitimate target!

I'm guessing also I'll not be alone in receiving these as I was accompanied through the tunnel on each occasion by many other commercials, often of larger size than me!

Is there any known appeals that may work? Am I likely to have any joy bargaining to a single fine payment?

£195.00 reduced to £130.00 x 4 is going to hurt and I suppose I'd best lube up and try to relax....
Willing to do my bit...

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Rotherhithe Tunnel - New restrictions enforcement
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2019, 12:08:34 PM »
So what exactly are the new restrictions?

EDIT

Found them on TfL site

Vehicles that are more than two metres (six foot six inches) wide or two metres high, or goods vehicles weighing more than 2 tonnes, are not safe to travel through the tunnel.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
My point being how is a goods vehicle designed to carry loads safely at 3.2 tonnes less safe than a car with a gross weight of 3.5 tonnes?

Where does the 2.0 tonnes figure come from? It is punitively restrictive and I cannot think of any other location in the UK where this figure is used. surely 3.5 tonnes applied to any class of vehicle is restrictive enough, especially given the other restrictions apply to all classes.

Curiously the LEVC TX London Taxi is banned on width! It also weighs in at 2.2 tonnes at the kerb....
Willing to do my bit...

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2019, 09:42:05 AM »
2nd one received  <Swearyangry> again going south the following day so just one more possible from the second day heading home! I thought I'd gone through four times but the first day I came back over London bridge having already been in the CC area that day it was quicker.

What scope is there to challenge these on the basis of the Chelmsford bus gate?

Is there any scope for TFL combining them to a single fine?
Willing to do my bit...

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
You can only try mate but I wouldn't hold my breath on TfL giving up a single penny of their ill gotten gains.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »
Initial appeals lodged with TFL within the 28 days cross referencing each and the appeal mirrored. My thanks to Mr Mustard for guidance thus far, lets see how it goes...
Willing to do my bit...

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »
Well I got the expected rejection to my appeals today, as expected they have not accepted the arguments given as valid. Of note however is that they have combined both tickets in a single response but not reduced it to a single fine.

I shall be engaging the worthy Mr Mustard of this parish in the next stage...
Willing to do my bit...

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player