Author Topic: Halfords (Derby) parking ticket sees tearful teacher refused mortgage  (Read 592 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower

Halfords parking ticket sees tearful teacher refused mortgage

She was told the ticket had been cancelled

By George Allen Regional news editor Stephen Hayward
12:00, 14 JUL 2019 UPDATED18:00, 14 JUL 2019

Miss Arrowsmith, pictured with fiancé Ross Tredger, said she was in tears when her mortgage was refused

A ticket picked up in a Derby car park left a teacher in tears when it triggered a mortgage refusal.

Sarah Arrowsmith was about to purchase her first home with fiancé Ross Tredger but a County Court Judgement she knew nothing about spooked lenders.

She got a poor credit rating because of the CCJ which was triggered by the unpaid parking ticket. As a result, the home the couple had their hearts set on was sold to someone else.

The situation is all the more galling because she had been told that the parking ticket had been cancelled..

28-year-old Miss Arrowsmith, from Burton, got a ticket after leaving her car at Halfords overnight while it was being serviced.

Private firm Parking Eye said she had overstayed the limit at the Wyvern Retail Park, in Derby.

She said: “I contacted Halfords and they said, ‘You’re exempt from paying this.’ They rang Parking Eye and said it was cancelled.”

Sarah Arrowsmith with fiancé Ross Tredger

There were two more demands but Halfords told her each time that the ticket would be cancelled.

Miss Arrowsmith changed address in the meantime and had no idea that the case had gone to county court with the original £60 penalty mounting to £197 with costs.

“I never received a letter from the court about the CCJ,” she says. “The first I heard about it was when our mortgage application was denied. I was in tears. We had done all of the checks and were about to submit our offer.

“I had to look up what a CCJ was. I am a very law-abiding citizen and I always pay off my credit cards each month.

“We’re absolutely devastated that this mistake has prevented us from getting a mortgage. It’s hard enough for young people to get on the housing ladder.”

She is now trying to get the judgement removed from her credit file before she and Ross, 30, start house-hunting again.

“All this for a parking ticket,” she said.

“We just wanted a nice house to start our life together. I now feel my whole life has been put on hold.”

Halfords said: “As soon as Sarah brought the parking fine to our attention we made it clear to Parking Eye that because her car was in our care and booked in for a service, the ticket and fines should be rescinded.”

A spokesman for Parking Eye said the company had no record of receiving any communication relating to the matter.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/parking-ticket-teacher-refused-mortgage-2959038

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player