Author Topic: Possible MAG support for the NoToMob  (Read 13814 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Possible MAG support for the NoToMob
« on: 31 March, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
Whilst having a cup of tea at Camley Street with Boyo and Jonesy yesterday before $chunting, I had a call from Leon Mannings. We talked about the aims of the Mob, including whether we had plans to take the campaign nationwide.

To cut a long story short, Leon has asked me to put it to Mob members whether we want to consider having MAG as a vehicle for spreading the NoToMob message to its members. They may be prepared to help organise local No To Mob groups up and down the country but details as to where and how will have to be worked out.

My opinion is that this is a very good opportunity for us. My only concern is that I believe we should preserve the independence and identity of the Mob, something I hope can be achieved when developing any relationship with MAG or any other group who wishes to associate with us.

I am happy to take a role as a coordinator if the group decide to run with this, but would be reluctant to be the sole coordinator.

Please do not be afraid to express your opinions on this public forum. It is the group's message that needs to be put to MAG in my opinion, so now is the time to say your piece.

What do YOU think?
« Last Edit: 01 January, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline billie.skeggs

• Administrator
  • Follower
Re: Possible MAG support for the NoToMob
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
From what i have gavered from being a biker and getting involved with eth NTBPT and now the brains of NTM.. (by brains i mean mr tech when the webby site on the " are we internetting now" goes wrong )

MAG only seem to get involved when it may or can benifit them..., after alll the input they have had from the tax campain has been nil since the initial call..

YES... i agree the would help spread the word of us very quickly to thoes who are a member,, BUT do they have another adgender... mainly to get them back on the map as being one for the bikers... cause as a biker of 6 months tho a suppporter of one for years.. it does seem a little fishy... dont you agree..

in the small time the NTM has been around we have achived so much without any outside help.. and have done it in a legal non intrusive way and have been strong through out..

needless to say yes their help would be great for a nationwide attack per say... but i have a feeling they may want to take credit for the work we have achieved... as well as possibly causing this "donation" issue of recent to become more of a problem.. as it will be common knowladge..

i do hope that makes sence :)

Offline Staps

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »
Quote from: "billie.skeggs"
From what i have gavered from being a biker and getting involved with eth NTBPT and now the brains of NTM.. (by brains i mean mr tech when the webby site on the " are we internetting now" goes wrong )

MAG only seem to get involved when it may or can benifit them..., after alll the input they have had from the tax campain has been nil since the initial call..

YES... i agree the would help spread the word of us very quickly to thoes who are a member,, BUT do they have another adgender... mainly to get them back on the map as being one for the bikers... cause as a biker of 6 months tho a suppporter of one for years.. it does seem a little fishy... dont you agree..

in the small time the NTM has been around we have achived so much without any outside help.. and have done it in a legal non intrusive way and have been strong through out..

needless to say yes their help would be great for a nationwide attack per say... but i have a feeling they may want to take credit for the work we have achieved... as well as possibly causing this "donation" issue of recent to become more of a problem.. as it will be common knowladge..

i do hope that makes sence :)

Makes perfect sense, It seems they wait till things are looking successful or not before deciding if they want to be part of it. ... fishy indeed. Perhaps tell them they can report the activities of the NoToMoB if they want.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
Maybe for the future we could look at this, but I feel it is still far too early to be considering going nationwide.
We at the NoToMob are still finding our way in the world of $chunting and trying to go nationwide at this stage would be very risky in my opinion. The very last thing we need is somebody getting it all wrong and bringing us in to disrepute with the Police, Public, or Local Authority. We need to consolidate what we have and build on it. London and Medway are by no way a done deal yet, we need more $chunters to be wholly affective, Some may argue that by forming a link with MAG this could be achieved. The problem as I see it will be that then we will have no control over what is done in our good name. We must avoid bad publicity due to over exuberance or vigilante style $chunting by any one connected to the campaign. If somebody in another part of the country goes off half cocked and gets it all wrong, legislation will ensue to stop us $chunting. We are independent and free from any ties with any one and have been from the start. We have no secret  committees, no hidden agendas, everything is out in the open thanks to the way all you Guys & Girls run the NoToMob. As I say its only my opinion but its good to talk about it in the open and get every $chunters view.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline kiwi

• Follower
  • FCUKI'N AV IT
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
I saw a Mag member at TS on Wednesday evening, maybe they are just doing the rounds ?? election time?? are they looking for some support?? Did someone just burn a fish finger??  :pmsl:

Offline Bandit

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
I think that Pat has it just right.
What the Mob has been very careful about, is the Mission Statement and the objectives. Also what it is NOT doing, eg, targeting the operators inside the car.
This does need to be consolidated so that it is plain as and when the activities expand. Much of what the Mob has achieved is largely down to it's uniqueness, originality and good management, and that it has struck a chord with the public.
MAG association could affect that.

National ambition is great: it would be wonderful day to read a headline stating that motorcyclists have forced mobile CCTV spy cars from our roads. But fundamentals need to be firmly established.

MAG is a national organisation and is better placed dealing with EU legislation and the like. $chunting, while not being uniquely London-centric may not translate well around the country.

Not all anti-motorcycling policies float their boat, as we have seen recently. This is not even directly motorcycle oriented: not sure why MAG would be interested in promoting a method of counteracting general traffic surveillance.

They probably could do with some publicity though and this is a success story that they could hang their hat on. If you talk with MAG, you should be very clear about how they would go about expanding the activities and how the identity & independence can e maintained.
After all, I'm not sure you want to be labelled MAG's direct action wing!

Haven't really been active yet, but as a supporter, IMHO I'd recommend consolidation in the South-east first, with that identity which is so important, and then see if it can translate to other regions on established credentials.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »
You do touch on something I neglected to say Bandit which is you do not have to have ridden on a $chunt to have a voice on this campaign.  Armchair $chunters are every bit just as important to us,  as it has been proven so many times in the past a lot of good work is done from the keyboard.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline peperami gsxr

• Follower
  • bexley-notomob@live.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »
Quote from: "Pat Pending"

Maybe for the future we could look at this, but I feel it is still far too early to be considering going nationwide.

Yeah Pat has a case.

Remember its not just being on the street. There is all the work in the backroom that needs to be covered.

If i take Bexley, yes we have been on the streets once. But there is more work to be done down here, i have a nice list, mainly coming from locals and small business, of what they would like to change, of things that the scars do/enforce that are wrong and in some cases making in very hard for the business to trade.
 Without the street $CHUNTING the press are not interested or the public would not get to know us, as soon we are in some public light then we can start asking for things to change, or hand the press the information, and let them show their readers what the money grabbing councils are all about.....in the name of safety.

So for now, too big....too soon.
Sworn to fun, loyalty to none

Offline spica

• Follower
  • yeah baby yeah
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
i think it will be a bad idea to be associated with mag at this early time in notomob's life. :idea:
a stated above what do they gain from joining us and the same goes for us joining them.  i personally like the way things are done and that we are independent with no ties.
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything

$chunting is like fox hunting but with a better Outcome

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
Another point I would like to make is that it may be the case that a Council that has $cars is not necessarily a target just because they have them.  If they were using them correctly for safety outside schools, and were not doing it covertly by hiding then they should be left alone. The problem is we have not found a Council yet that does not use them for raising revenue from the motorist. We live in hope.

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:12:05 PM »
Looks like there is a concensus of opinion...... so far.

And I'm in agreement, we don't need an association with any established organisation in my opinion.  If we keep going the way we are, slowly establishing ourselves in a few area's, then we will eventually became an established organisation in our own rite as well.

I think we should continue as we are, not too big, not too quick!  We've not been going a year yet, and with the behaviour of various council's, there's scope for us to be around for a very long time, we should mature as group on our own, in our own good time.

If MAG, or any other organisation would like to report what we do, then that's fine, I'd welcome it, but that's all.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline rs2k

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Quote from: "Kill Switch"

And I'm in agreement, we don't need an association with any established organisation in my opinion.  If we keep going the way we are, slowly establishing ourselves in a few area's, then we will eventually became an established organisation in our own rite as well.

I think we should continue as we are, not too big, not too quick!  We've not been going a year yet, and with the behaviour of various council's, there's scope for us to be around for a very long time, we should mature as group on our own, in our own good time.
If MAG, or any other organisation would like to report what we do, then that's fine, I'd welcome it, but that's all.

Agree with KS :)

The part in bold especially, their reader base is a valuabe asset that we could utilize for getting us known far and wide.... but with no affiliation...  if that makes sense ?   Maybe a regular article in there, comiclly aimed maybe at the stupid/dangerous things the $camera cars/operators do at times....  almost a comic stip section ?

Offline Monkey Girl

• Follower
« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Quote from: "Kill Switch"

Agree with what KS say's  ;D  Let's just keep moving forward, doing our own thing  ;D

Offline chalky

• Follower
« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
Why am I not surprised that KS is happy for MAG to report on is activities?

Bloody media whore!!!! :pmsl:

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
Bugger, found out again :-ev-:
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player