Author Topic: Richmond Ride Out. 18th May 2011  (Read 12900 times)

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
Re: Richmond Ride Out. 18th May 2011
« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
Why don,t we meet outside City Hall Victoria St.. :-ev-:   just an Idea :idea:
« Last Edit: 01 January, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Nigel W

« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2011, 07:55:14 AM »
The Meerkat Example!
Not so Smartcars? "Simples ...get approval"
Quick to catch the unsuspecting motorist but now with a dilemma and another frank admission these 'Not So SmartCars' are set to cause a financial headache for Richmond Council. We reported earlier that Nigel Wise's case could be the tip of a very large iceberg.

Richmond Council earlier dismissed the loss of the PCN appeal at PATAS as a 'technicality.' However, it is a fundamental legal requirement that these CCTV Smartcar devices are 'approved' by the Secretary of State. If they are not then the council cannot issue PCNs ... "Simples."

If the council has issued the PCNs without legal authority to do so then they must refund the money. Let's hope that Richmond Council do the decent thing and lead by example.

Your protest visit to Richmond will assist in getting Richmond to face up to their responsibilities. These include a refund to all of those motorists who have paid one of these unlawfully issued penalties. This goes back to 31st March 2009 up to the present day!

Offline Nitro159

• Follower
« Reply #17 on: 05 May, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »
18th may, wednesday, I'm in. Can @notomob tweet it when its finalised for meeting point pwease?

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #18 on: 05 May, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
Early next week I will lock this thread and start a new one with details of times and meeting places.

If you need to get time off work, you will only need to get the afternoon off by the way. At the moment I'm thinking Ace Cafe for 2.00pm to arrive in Richmond for about 3.00pm, but I have some logistics to work out before finalising things. Does anyone have any ideas of where we could meet anyone coming up from the south to save them driving past Richmond?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Nigel W

« Reply #19 on: 07 May, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
The following posting is below an article in The Online Edition of The Local Paper:
The Whittonian, Whitton says...
2:11pm Sat 7 May 11
In May 2010, while the council was still under the control of the Lib Dem's, I was issued with six PCN's totaling £600.00 from a spy camera car which was parked for two weeks running in Cobbet Road, Whitton. My offence was dropping my children off outside their junior school. Not parking, just pausing for 7 seconds outside the school gates to ensure their safe arrival.

I paid the first fine within time (£50.00) and appealed the other five. These were sanctimoniously rejected by the head of parking services Mr. Terry Powell, a man who later told me to my face that every fine his department issued was considered a failure for his department! I ended up paying the remaining £250.00 following the council's bullying letters that threatened me with fines totaling thousands and all of the court costs and so forth.

Following this I demanded a meeting with Mr. Powell to investigate just how the council could justify these fines and to find out where our money was being spent. This was attended by Cllr. Head.

My argument was that I had been dropping my children off in the exact same place in front of the school gates for a year or more in direct view of these spy camera cars (which I might add had been targeting parents the school for years) and had never been fined before. Therefore I wanted to know why had this particular 'offence' had only just been added to his departments arsenal.

Mr. Powell told me assuredly that the spy camera cars under his direct control had been fining motorists for this same offence in Cobbet Road for years and that I should consider myself lucky not to have been fined sooner.

This proved to be totally untrue because when he searched his database my name came up as the very first motorist to be fined for said offence.

Well well well. Now in light of this new investigation I think that I too am entitled to my £300.00 back.

How do I go about making a claim?

This has been followed by:
peperami, Bexley says...
6:14pm Sat 7 May 11
@TheWhittonian, and everyone else that has had a PCN issued by these $camera cars. Write to Richmond and Quote Wise v Richmond in your letter and demand your money back.

I would also reccommend you come down to Richmond Council on the 18th, when we The NoToMob will be attending, and we will be 'requesting' Richmond pay back the money they have illegally gained. We will arrive in Richmond around 3.00pm.

www.notomob.co.uk

Also Nigel Wise will be attending, and the press have been invited.

And then:
TheWhittonian, Whitton says...
6:50pm Sat 7 May 11
I shall be attending this. Thanks.

Should be quite a gathering!

Nigel W

« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2011, 07:45:52 AM »
I have just sent the following mail to Terry Powell:

Terry,
The rating for The Manager to be sacked has now increased to +81 under the Daily Mail Article. If you click on the posting you may be able to reduce this to +80.

No doubt you will also be interested to look at this:

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/9012624.Camera_blunder_could_force_council_to_pay_back___1m_in_fines/

"The Whittonian" who has commented beneath The Article is very annoyed with you:

"I paid the first fine within time (£50.00) and appealed the other five. These were sanctimoniously rejected by the head of parking services Mr. Terry Powell, a man who later told me to my face that every fine his department issued was considered a failure for his department!"

You were 100% correct with this comment (that's a first) for the wrong reasons.

I have no doubt that you will not be prepared to meet him on this occasion. Do not hide away cowering in your office. As you have not had the gumption to resign your post, show yourself, come outside and meet him and everyone else that will be there.
                                                                                                         Nigel Wise.

Offline Staps

• Follower
« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »
If Richmond council think every fine issued is a failure on their part, they will love the attendance of the NoToMoB

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #22 on: 10 May, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
Does anyone know of a convenient meeting place near to Richmond Civic Centre (which is apparently in Twickenham ??? ) where it would be convenient to meet (free parking in a supermarket car park perhaps?) before we ride to the Civic Centre as a group?

The address is:

Civic Centre
44 York Street
Twickenham
Middlesex
TW1 3BZ
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Nigel W

« Reply #23 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
There is a Sainsbury's Supermarket on the A316 at:

Lower Richmond Road
RICHMOND
TW9 4LT
I assume that you will be coming down the A316 from Chiswick.

It is at a road junction opposite a BP Filling Station.

According to the AA Route finder it is 2.6 miles from York House Twickenham. 8 mins. driving time (allow a bit more.)

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=308260060549950|TW9%204LT,%20Richmond|STREET|519126|175706|toNode=308260060440662|TW1%203BZ,%20Twickenham|STREET|516412|173434

Nigel W

« Reply #24 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
It is on the Left Hand Side of The A316 Turn Left at the junction opposite the BP.

Nigel W

« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
The Richmond & Twickenham Times have obligingly published this today:

"Campaign group No To Mob will hold a protest outside Richmond Council Offices at York House Twickenham at 3pm on Wednesday after claiming the authority made more than £1m in wrongfully issued fines."

That ought to swell the crowd a bit.

Nigel W

« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
The Full Article can now be seen at:

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/9017834.Parking_fine_protest_planned/ :

Can someone please put "Twickenham Bob" right. He says in his comment posted under the article that NoToMOB are "perverting the course of justice."

Twickenham Bob is a well known anti-car protester.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Quote from: "Nigel W"
Twickenham Bob is a well known anti-car protester.

Done.

-------------------------------------------------

Perverting the course of justice eh Bob? Well since this is classed as a criminal offence and the NoToMob riders are "assisting" the cars in their civil duties, the police cannot charge us under criminal law for "perverting the course of justice." You should also know that the activities of our group have been, and continue to be thoroughly scrutinised by the Met Police, and I have been told by them that provided we stick to our self imposed set of rules, we are not breaking any laws.

And as for "interfering with the administration of justice", you couldn't be more wrong. What we do is volunteer our time, free of charge and in the spirit of David Cameron's "Big Society", to help the CCTV operators carry out their stated duties of enabling traffic flow and keeping the public safe. When we are assisting the operators we make the vehicles more visible to the motorists, thus stopping them from committing potentially dangerous offences. What we don't do is hide out of the way so that we can catch and fine motorists whilst allowing the potentially dangerous offence to take place. What you imply is that by helping with the car's visibility, thereby ensuring public safety, we are interfering with the administration of justice. I would argue that it is not the NoToMob who are the unjust part of this equation, but it is in fact the council's devious use of these Weapons of Cash Extraction that is unjust.

If you don't believe what I'm saying, may I suggest you pop down to see us next Wednesday and arrange to join a $chunt ($camera Car Hunt) with us one day. I guarantee it will be a real eye opener.

In fact that last is an open invitation to anyone who might be interested in joining us. You don't have to have a motorbike to help us in our fight against revenue driven enforcement, just the will to stand up and say "Enough"

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #28 on: 13 May, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
Nice one BE :aplude:

I wonder if Twickenham Bob would be a little more sympathetic to our cause if he realised that these cars/vans often leave their engines idling (and polluting) for long periods of time whilst [s:13whrm3p]revenue raising[/s:13whrm3p] enforcing in order to keep all the camera gubbins working (or so they claim)
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #29 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »
Had it confirmed to me today by an ex $car driver that running those cameras puts a huge drain on the batteries and that they do indeed have to run the engines fairly constantly or they will kill the whole system. Never mind that they're killing the world in the meantime... :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:
WE ARE WATCHING YOU