Author Topic: Bexley Council Meeting 23rd June 2011  (Read 16557 times)

Offline Virgil

• Follower
Re: Bexley Council Meeting 23rd June 2011
« Reply #45 on: 14 July, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
I know it's not the same council (perhaps one that will be getting our attention later) but this turned up in the current Private Eye. I though that Sir Olly and others might like to see it.
« Last Edit: 01 January, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #46 on: 14 July, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
Thanks for that Virgil. Now I seem to remember that one of our senior coordinators is a resident in Barnet, and I'm pretty sure he will be well hacked off about this. Perhaps we could organise a little trip to a Barnet council meeting one day?

The Bald Eagle is plotting. :-ev-:
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Nigel W

« Reply #47 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Maybe Bonkers will be interested in this on filming at council meetings. It comes from Ealing Council's "Cabinet Procedure Rules" It is dated May 2010.

Offline Bonkers

• Follower
    • http://www.bexley-is-bonkers.co.uk
Re: Re: Bexley Council Meeting 23rd June 2011
« Reply #48 on: 15 July, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »
It is more wordy than Bexley's constitution but amounts to the same thing. Filming by permission only. There have been about half a dozen such requests to Bexley council, every one has been turned down. It has not stopped them announcing at every meeting that filming is permitted, implying "just ask and all will be OK" and some newspaper articles have praised them for that announcment, not knowing apparently that all are refused.

Offline Virgil

• Follower
Re: Re: Bexley Council Meeting 23rd June 2011
« Reply #49 on: 15 July, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
Just a thought, but could there be an avenue for some members to try here using disability discrimination laws?

I assume that any person is allowed to make notes of what occurs at these meetings. Probably the powers that be expect these to be handwritten in the same manner as you cannot photograph most courts but sketches are permitted.

If a person is perhaps illiterate (and I don't mean that prejudicially, merely in the technical sense) or has a sensory disability (for example is hard of hearing, preferably with a doctors note to that effect) then in the same way that a workplace has to make "reasonable adjustments" for staff, do these public officials have to make reasonable adjustments at these meetings so that a person can make a reasonable set of notes, perhaps say a tape recording at least? If not can they be prevailed upon to have a stenographer present and transcripts made available shortly after the meetings? This is quite different from minutes which tend to be a precis.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #50 on: 15 July, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »
I think this is what it brought it all to light. Fecking disgracefull. :bashy:  :bashy:  :bashy:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #51 on: 15 July, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
When's the next Barnet meeting concerning parking or CCTV Pat?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Nigel W

« Reply #52 on: 15 July, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
Apparently Sound Recordings are o.k. or not ? :idea:

I ask this question because:

At the first hearing of my PaTAS Appeal v Richmond I was rudely dealt with by The Adjudicator Mr Gerald Styles. Mr Styles went through the roof after he realised that I had not provided The Tribunal with any evidence in advance of my Appeal. This is despite PaTAS literature that states that evidence can be provided at anytime.

After a few attempts during which he interrupted me I managed to explain why I had not provided the evidence beforehand. I had previously spent a great deal of time preparing a PaTAS Appeal for which I had submitted the evidence for beforehand. At the 11th Hour Richmond DNC'd the case and subsequently PaTAS refused to grant me my expenses.  

I had to file an official complaint with Richmond Council to get these expenses. After going through two internal investigations I was informed that Richmond would not pay these expenses. I was informed that there was no other option left open to me. I am someone who does not give up easily. I persisted and got Richmond to appoint an outside investigator who recommended that Richmond pay me my expenses in full. I eventually received a cheque for £186.00.

Returning to Mr Styles. He then raised his voice informing me that LA's are entitled to DNC Appeals whenever they wish. He then asked me for my evidence. This is normally presented by the appellant who gives an oral submission and hands over documents as he does so. Mr Styles said give it to me (the evidence). I asked if he wanted it all. He snatched all of my paperwork and then ordered me out of the hearing room!

I filed an official complaint about his conduct with the head of PaTAS and asked for his removal from the case. I received a letter informing me that Mr Styles had not reserved the case to himself. I took this to mean that he had been asked not to conduct it.

Complaints about an Adjudicator's conduct are not dealt with until after the final Adjudication. I waited for two months and heard nothing. After contacting PaTAS I eventually received a response that whitewashed the whole affair.

I had asked for a copy of the recording that is made in all hearing rooms at PaTAS when I filed my original complaint. This had not been supplied. I again asked for this. I was informed that I could not have a copy.

Instead I was told that if I paid for it I could have a transcript. I was further informed that I could travel to Islington and listen to the recording free of charge. I asked if whilst listening to it I could make my own recording of it and I was informed that I could not. I then asked if I could bring anyone else with me to listen to it and I was informed that I could not.

Apart from the cost of a transcript this would not be fit for purpose. Mr Styles raising his voice and the emphasis in his voice would be lost. A transcript is not necessarily a record of what was said. Only the recording is this - unless it is tampered with or lost!

I wonder why they have an objection to anyone else hearing this recording?

I should add that Mr Styles is the most senior Adjudicator at PaTAS.

More to follow on this as and when it happens.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #53 on: 15 July, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
Quote from: "The Bald Eagle"
When's the next Barnet meeting concerning parking or CCTV Pat?

I shall see what I can find out BE :-ev-:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player