Author Topic: Watchdog - BBC 1 at 8.00pm tonight  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Piquet

• Follower
Re: Watchdog - BBC 1 at 8.00pm tonight
« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »
Is the 3M just for fees from parking requests?

I know the DVLA sell info (vehicle details only) to motor spares suppliers.
Incidentally, the rules for this changed a short while ago. Originally repeated requests for details of the same VRM were covered by the first payment for a fixed period (can't remember how long), now every request attracts a charge!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Offline seggsy

• Follower
« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »
I completely agree. This is nothing but abuse that is permitted by OUR ELECTED DICTATORS REPRESENTATIVES. DVLA just comply with the law. If the law did not permit DVLA to sell our private data then they would not do it. We should lay the blame where it belongs, and where does it bring us, back to OUR ELECTED DICTATORS REPRESENTATIVES.......
Politicians doncha just 'ate em

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »
It is just the beginning really its no different to this.
They want to sell you'r health details and do not believe for one minute it will be anonymous info, thin end of the wedge people.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16021240
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Darcus

• Follower
« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
I think Tommy the Trumpet has got a point. I've found the DVLA document that explains who they can give details to and for what reason. I know in my case either the council and/or the bailiffs have applied numerous times to confirm my details even since taking my vehicle, so as to show evidence of their following of (in)correct procedures.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_193598.pdf

Maybe I'm a bit dim today, but it does look to me that the DVLA may be giving out details and charging when they have no valid reason to according to their own statements (which I presume are in line with the Data Protection Act).
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

Nigel W

« Reply #19 on: 01 April, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
Darcus

Can you please explain why you believe that the DVLA are 'giving out details and charging when they have no valid reason to according to their own statements.'

I am interested to know your reasons for your belief.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #20 on: 01 April, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »
Just in case you missed it, here is a link that will only work for a while. See from about 1 minute 50 seconds to 8 minutes 20 seconds.

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Darcus

• Follower
« Reply #21 on: 01 April, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
Ok, I'm just working on a few ideas at the moment so it may be a bit fuddled.

Basically, if I'm right then a PCN can be treated similar to a County Court Order:

London Local Authorities Act 2007

Part 4 Penalty Charges

64   Enforcement of penalty charges

(1)The Lord Chancellor may make regulations for or in connection with the enforcement of penalty charges.
(2)The regulations may include provision—
(a)creating criminal offences to be triable summarily and punishable with a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or such lower amount as may be specified;
(b)for amounts payable under or by virtue of any provision of this Part to be recoverable, if a county court so orders, as if they were payable under a county court order.[/b]

More importantly, the only section I can see that would allow a council to apply for your details is under Section 15 Court/Individual/Company/Organisation DVLA document MIS546(?)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_193598.pdf

Which requires the applicant to show a court order as evidence. So treating the PCN as a form of court order, being generous, was that provided to the DVLA. Does the DVLA hold details of PCNs on their system as proof that the correct procedures were taken in accordance with the Data Protection Act?

I'm open to the idea that there may be other acts which would give a stronger automatic right to the council to get your details, having seen this in an amendment bill for the London Local Authorities Bill

''Clause 4 provides London borough councils, authorised officers of London borough
councils, community support officers and accredited persons with powers to require
a person on whom they intend to serve a penalty charge notice to give them his name
and address, in cases where a penalty charge notice is to be served under section 61
of the London Local Authorities Act 2007. If the requirement is made in person by an
authorised officer of a council, then he must show proof of his authorisation. It is an
offence to fail to give a name and address or to give a false or inaccurate name or
address in response to a requirement under Clause 4.''

(http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmprbill/lla/210411/210411.pdf)

But I still think they would have to show appropriate evidence and for it to have actually been looked at.

I realise my case is a bit unique, but the council have confirmed that they requested the details from the DVLA at the start of the process and that their appointed debt collection agencies made numerous requests, even after they had removed my vehicle (this was them rechecking to make sure they had further evidence as my complaint progresses). So what is the justification for allowing more than say 2 checks for the same reason by the same organisation or its agents?

Also if you consider the practice of bailiffs taking people's cars, because they're an easy way to get people to pay if they continue to fight or are having debt difficulties, then what justification do the DVLA have in selling details of the registered keeper to bailiffs? This isn't to identify who was driving or who is responsible for the vehicle, so how can it be legal?

Basically look at all the categories of people who can apply to look at your information and wonder how many provided the required proof, and if they did, is it now on you DVLA file?

My thoughts for the moment on it, but maybe it is flawed or other can see a different angle.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

Nigel W

« Reply #22 on: 01 April, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
Darcus

I see where you are coming from now.

I thought that you were referring to Private Parking Companies in accordance with this post. Clearly this is covered by the DVLA document that you attached.

I will do some more digging regarding Councils applying for DVLA information.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player