Author Topic: Medway Tunnel night closures.  (Read 9181 times)

Offline tommy the trumpet

• Follower
Medway Tunnel night closures.
« on: 14 March, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
Beware there are notices telling of night closures of the Medway tunnel on the 20th March.

Thanks to Medway council and the less than responsible councillor Jarrett if you are stuck on the wrong side after 8pm you get a lovely scenic drive around the former Chatham ring road.

Taking in such views as that famous Medway folly the Chatham bus station, and while you are doing your extra fuel burn and emission blowout you will have time to get a trifle irate with who is responsible.

All that investment :

A) Nobody apart from Medway council actually wanted.

B) To inconvenience everyone using the roads around Chatham centre apart from Medway council personnel, who due to the convenient placing of Gun Wharf do not have to go anywhere near it.

C) To create a nice little honeypot to recoup some of the funds incompetently wasted.

D) Keep one of their employees sitting on his backside most of the day with the seat laid back, but I can categorically say he is not ASLEEP, although there was some piggy Pooh on the bonnet.

And while on the subject perhaps they would like to explain that ridiculous bus only lane past the bingo hall at the Luton end of the former ring road.

I think its about time a petion was started to ask some questions about this bus station scandal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.    
Ciao Marco #58

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: Medway Tunnel night closures.
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
They might also like to explain why their driver passes through a 'no motor vehicles' restriction to get to his $cam bay.

:bashy:
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »
They might also like to explain why their driver passes through a 'no motor vehicles' restriction to get to his $cam bay.

:bashy:

Something we are all curious to know but my dealings with Medway, and there has been quite a few in the past 8 months, have taught me Medways philosophy is:

THE BEST FORM OF DEFENCE IS IGNORANCE

This seems to be a policy adopted by many councils.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.    
Ciao Marco #58

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
They have 20 days to be as ignorant as they like. After that, their ass is mine.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
The FOI response has arrived in a timely fashion. It appears they have ceased outsourcing their FOIs to Bexley and Barnet.
My request was as follows;

“At the east end of Medway Street at it's junction with Globe Lane, there is a pedestrianised area to the east of that junction, whose border is marked by a 'no motor vehicles' sign, colloquially known as the flying motor bike sign. There is often a CCTV enforcement vehicle parked in this area whose driver would have to contravene the restriction to park there. Could you please advise me what exemptions apply to the operators of these vehicles and the extent of parking and moving traffic contraventions, which do not apply to them. Could you also please indicate the skill level of the drivers, for example do they need to have passed an advanced driving test or need any other driver safety training that the average motorist would not normally have had.”

The council's response was;

I can confirm that the exemptions that apply to the area you have stated is an O permit bay covered in the TRO under exemptions.
The CCTV enforcement vehicles are able to stop to enforce in the O permit bay as the vehicles have been issued with an O permit. The information that supports this can be found in the TRO under the exemption for permit holders:
"Nothing in this order shall apply to any vehicle being used for a purpose authorised and described on a permit issued by Medway Council, provided such permit is displayed in the vehicle in the relevant position.

I can advise that the drivers of the CCTV vehicles would only need to have a full valid UK Driving Licence and no additional training would be required.

I am not happy but I can see some twisted reasoning behind a $camera car being exempt from a yellow line contravention for x amount of minutes for example. It is decriminalised after all, and vehicle owners are the scum of the earth and deserved to be punished as much as possible.

That's as close to being devil's advocate as I am comfortable with but I was just wondering if it was legal for a driver to be exempt from a criminal contravention which the 'no motor vehicles' sign clearly is. I doubt emergency service drivers can even contravene this sign except, perhaps, traffic officers and area cars engaged in pursuit. Discuss.

Offline Monkey Girl

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »
They do not display this O permit on their vehicle

Nigel W

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
O don't they now! O no they don't! O dear!

What does O stand for? Answers on a postcard.

Offline rs2k

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
Have we established if the cctv car operators are exempt from the sia cctv badge regulations ?  as im pretty sure this falls under - further training ! 

also, any emergency vehicle is exempt from most road signs. The only thing they cant do if I remember rightly is go the wrong way down a one way street ?

http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52

some good info is on the above site :) and various rules/regs can be found online.

• Follower
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »
I'm surprised you don't know Nigel 'O' stands for Orifice, of which a visit to Medway parking department will uncover plenty of excellent rectal examples.
Ciao Marco #58

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
We have vaginal ones at Bexley and they're not just limited to the parking department.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 07 May, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »
 I have heard the term "'O' Licence" is in connection with HGVs when it stands for "Operators Licence" but not the term "O permit".

Does Medway have any sort of Residents Parking Permit scheme?

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
They do have a residents parking scheme but due to not having to use it I do not know how it operates.

Beware from 12-15 May more Medway tunnel closures so you can all divert on the scenic route round Chatham taking in such sights as the unresponsible cllr Jarret's legacy the irresponsibly funded Chatham bus station.

Thats while doing an extra five mile detour, but at least you get to view the reason why.
Ciao Marco #58

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player