Author Topic: Westminster in trouble with its auditors  (Read 1446 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Westminster in trouble with its auditors
« on: 26 September, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
Oh dear! What a mess. And a little bird tells me its about to get worse. A lot worse... :-* :-* :-*

"The audit cannot be formally concluded and an audit certificate issued, as I am considering a number of objections relating to 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2010/11. I am also aware of further potential objections to these years of account and to 2011/12."

Pages 17 and 18 make particularly interesting reading. ;D ;) ;D ;)

http://transact.westminster.gov.uk/CSU/Audit%20and%20Performance%20Committee/2012/25%20September/Item%203%20-%20Audit%20Commission%20Annual%20Governance%20Reports/City%20of%20Westminster%20Council%20AGR%202011-12.pdf
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline BGB

• Follower
Re: Westminster in trouble with its auditors
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
Was it something we said? ;D

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Westminster in trouble with its auditors
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
"I am required to consider matters coming to my attention in the conduct of my audit having regard to my Code responsibilities. Whilst amounts paid under the contract are not material, and identified overpayments of £0.1m, relating to errors in the methodology for calculating call-centre charges, are relatively small and, I understand, have now been recovered, the underlying weaknesses identified are significant. My audit report at appendix 1 therefore reports this matter as part of my value for money conclusion. I note the Council has also referred to this matter in its updated Annual Governance Statement."

The £0.1m overpayment identified by the objector is in fact nearer to £0.144m as identified in the West End Extra article (see link below). Through the diligence of the unidentified objector ;), Wastemonster have recovered £144,000+ that the District Auditor failed to find because it is obviously too "small" a sum for him to worry himself about. I bet he wouldn't like it taken out of his wage packet though, and I can't see that the vast majority Westminster taxpayers would consider £144k to be a "relatively small" sum.

And did the unidentified objector receive any credit whatsoever from WCC's ruling elite for pointing out the errors of their ways and bolstering their coffers? DID HE F*@*!!!!!!! 

http://www.westendextra.com/news/2012/sep/westminster-councils-bungled-%C2%A3144k-overpayment-parking-call-centre-contractor
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player