Author Topic: Somebody pinch me  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Somebody pinch me
« on: 08 August, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »
I seem to have fallen asleep and started dreaming!     

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23572458

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
Re: Somebody pinch me
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2013, 01:53:04 PM »
They might be better off taking a leaf from Northampton Town Council's book. They have for some time now had free parking in the town's car parks on Sundays. This has been extended on an experimental basis to free parking all day on Saturdays for the month of August. Local traders are said to be extremely happy with this arrangement.

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
No doubt Tricky will be along shortly predicting the collapse of civilisation, beginning in Cheshire.

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
They might be better off taking a leaf from Northampton Town Council's book. They have for some time now had free parking in the town's car parks on Sundays. This has been extended on an experimental basis to free parking all day on Saturdays for the month of August. Local traders are said to be extremely happy with this arrangement.

What! You mean operate a car park as a Civic facility for the benefit of the community! :o

Offline Belplasca

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »
I had to check the dateline on this story in case it was from 1st April...

Bob
Blanka (my partner) has signed up on a challenge to help the Marie Curie Hospice in Hampstead.

Help her at http://www.justgivin...lanka-Rathauska

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »

What! You mean operate a car park as a Civic facility for the benefit of the community! :o
Yup, absolutely! [welsh accent] "Dew, there's novel for yew![/welsh accent]

Offline jonesy

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »
They did a free parking scheme in Stevenage for the Xmas period and then in the new year increased the charges by an extra  30p   :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
Cos Kutsford etc. just happens to be one of the wealthiest areas of the country but it is a start...
Willing to do my bit...

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2013, 05:04:48 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to pinch me. The people of Norwich are taking our Eric up on his spiffing idea,

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/parking_profits_as_norwich_families_rent_out_their_driveways_1_2332172

"But local councils said they had not been taking action against those who rent out their driveways.

A spokesman for Norwich City Council said they did not recognise the practice as a change of use and there was no need for planning charges or enforcement if people were renting out their driveways.

A spokesman for Broadland District Council said: “We have never been approached by someone wanting permission to rent out space in their drive and we have never taken any enforcement action against anyone doing so, it just hasn’t been an issue for us."

Yup, definitely dreaming.     

Meanwhile, a Bexley spokesweasel said, "Tsk, tsk! Try any of that crap around here and we'll have you in stocks by mid-day being pelted with rotten vegetables."
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Belplasca

• Follower
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
Hmm. There are quite a few London boroughs where having the temerity to park your own vehicle on your own land is seen as a reason to make lots of money out of you fine you for putting the public at risk...

Bob
Blanka (my partner) has signed up on a challenge to help the Marie Curie Hospice in Hampstead.

Help her at http://www.justgivin...lanka-Rathauska

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player