Author Topic: Possible "repeal" powers on parking rules  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Virgil

• Follower
Possible "repeal" powers on parking rules
« on: 10 December, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10507058/Locals-could-force-councils-to-review-parking-charges-by-signing-a-petition.html
Worth a read. Now there's many issues, for example where I live is only a few thousand residents/businesses so clearly the level of 100,000 is not going to be reached, but also there's the issue of whether or not I can vote regarding parking in the main city some 15 miles away where I need to drive to to shop/work etc, but all in all its got the potential to be something good.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Possible "repeal" powers on parking rules
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
Love the way Nick Boles MP comes out and says:

Nick Boles, the planning minister, wants his local council in Grantham to offer drivers two hours of free parking.

“Over the last three years I have watched changes in shopping habits gather pace and discussed the  implications with local retailers and property owners,” Mr Boles said.

“I have now come to a stark conclusion: if we want to save our town centres and see them restored as the bustling hearts of our communities, we need the local council to give them a level playing field with their competitors. And that means free parking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one in the eye for BPA Ltd. and their Great Big Parking Debaclete :P :P :P
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »
I agree in principal with what Mr Boles is saying, but where does he think the money to maintain the off street car parks comes from if not from the charges to use them?

More importantly (for the residents of Grantham, anyway) if these car parks are made free, which other Council service would they like to see reduced or scrapped to pay for the upkeep of the car parks?

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
I agree in principal with what Mr Boles is saying, but where does he think the money to maintain the off street car parks comes from if not from the charges to use them?

More importantly (for the residents of Grantham, anyway) if these car parks are made free, which other Council service would they like to see reduced or scrapped to pay for the upkeep of the car parks?

There is always the alternative Dick. Shut down all the shops in the high street by making them a financially unviable alternative for shoppers, thereby rendering the car parks redundant. Then pull the whole lot down and save all the expense of maintaining them. Of course the councils won't be receiving any business rates or monies from leaseholds and car parking charges, but hey ho. At least they won't have to pay for the upkeep of the car parks.

Therefore, everyone's a winner, particularly the nice big supermarket chains who, once the competition is finally crushed will build more fortresses on the ruins of the local High Streets (because the council will flog off our land to them cheaply as a short term fix to replace its lost revenue stream), thereby consolidating big business's position in the market and enabling them to completely control prices and run their cartels with complete impunity.

On the other hand, if the councils gave the first 30 minutes free it would encourage the nip in shopper to shop locally or on their way to work, thereby increasing footfall, but it would not necessarily discourage the dedicated shopper who wants to stay a little longer and pay the normal parking charges.

Therefore, not everyone's a winner, particularly the nice big supermarket chains who, once the competition is not finally crushed will not be able to completely control prices, and who will not be able to operate their cartel with complete impunity.

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »

There is always the alternative Dick. Shut down all the shops in the high street by making them a financially unviable alternative for shoppers, thereby rendering the car parks redundant. Then pull the whole lot down and save all the expense of maintaining them. Of course the councils won't be receiving any business rates or monies from leaseholds and car parking charges, but hey ho. At least they won't have to pay for the upkeep of the car parks.

Therefore, everyone's a winner, particularly the nice big supermarket chains who, once the competition is finally crushed will build more fortresses on the ruins of the local High Streets (because the council will flog off our land to them cheaply as a short term fix to replace its lost revenue stream), thereby consolidating big business's position in the market and enabling them to completely control prices and run their cartels with complete impunity.

On the other hand, if the councils gave the first 30 minutes free it would encourage the nip in shopper to shop locally or on their way to work, thereby increasing footfall, but it would not necessarily discourage the dedicated shopper who wants to stay a little longer and pay the normal parking charges.

Therefore, not everyone's a winner, particularly the nice big supermarket chains who, once the competition is not finally crushed will not be able to completely control prices, and who will not be able to operate their cartel with complete impunity.

Hear Hear
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 14 December, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »

Judging by the prices I see on the High Street, the shops there are already "financially unviable" for me compared to the Supermarkets, as they are for a lot of people these days.

Are we trying to create a society where the rich shop on the High Street and the poor go to Supermarkets?

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
I  have been out crimbo shopping with SHMBO over the last two days,  we cannot believe how quiet and devoid of shopper's the high streets are!  The high streets need all the help they can get.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 14 December, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
I agree that High Streets need help - I just don't see how giving free parking will. We already have free parking where I live, and the High Streets are just as empty as places that don't.
The other thing is why are we (Council Tax Payers) effectivley subsidising private Business? The only reason the Supermarkets have free parking is because they buy the land for it at their expense.
« Last Edit: 14 December, 2013, 10:26:36 PM by DastardlyDick »

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 14 December, 2013, 11:06:57 PM »
I agree that High Streets need help - I just don't see how giving free parking will. We already have free parking where I live, and the High Streets are just as empty as places that don't.
The other thing is why are we (Council Tax Payers) effectivley subsidising private Business? The only reason the Supermarkets have free parking is because they buy the land for it at their expense.

That's all very well DD but what you are not addressing is the fact that a failing high street impacts severely on the Local economy, local jobs, the general aesthetics of the area. It becomes run down and then an eyesore, then the crime rate goes up. Then no one wants to open a shop in such a shit hole. I am not saying parking is solely to blame, but it sure as hell is on the short list for the catalyst that starts the downward spiral. As for subsidising local businesses, I dont think that is a valid argument. Parking all ways used to be free! The introduction of more and more extortionate parking charges is ruining their businesses.  How is stopping parking charges subsidising the shopkeepers? 

P.S.
Having just read through my rant again,it came across as a bit harsh but you get my drift I hope.
« Last Edit: 15 December, 2013, 12:17:43 AM by Pat Pending »
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
It's subsidising Shopkeepers simply because you'd be giving them something that they'd normally have to pay for i.e  buying the land to provide car parking like the big Supermarkets do. My "High Street" is actually pedestrianised with free unlimited parking next to it, CCTV and regular Police Patrols, yet most people round here go to either the local big supermarket (free parking)and/or the local shopping centre where they have to pay to park and/or the next town where they have to pay to park, so clearly the provision of free parking has no, or very little, influence on the decision of where to shop.
I think the biggest single thing that determines where people shop is Price - I know I cannot afford to shop on the High Street anymore and I don't suppose I'm the only person this applies to. This, of course, is where the Supermarkets win - they can offer lower prices because of their sheer buying power ("We'll buy 200,000 of your product") something that no small High Street shop can ("I'll buy 200 of your product") - guess who's going to get the cheaper unit price? Another thing is Convenience - in my local big Supermarket, I can buy all the usual stuff (food etc.) TVs and washing machines - I can even buy oil for my bike/car if I want - and all in one "hit".
Add online shopping to all that - even cheaper and even more convenient - and I cannot see how the High Street as we currently know it can be 'saved' by the provision of any amount of free parking.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #10 on: 16 December, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »
I still don't agree with the comment we would be giving them something they would normally have to pay for!  It's just not true. My local shops have no parking restrictions, did the shopkeepers buy the road?  No of course not that would be a ridiculous state of affairs. So why should the shopkeepers of a high street have to do so?  Even the Local Authority is finally coming around to this.
http://www.barnet.gov.uk/news/article/390/christmas_comes_early_to_barnets_high_streets
« Last Edit: 16 December, 2013, 11:42:29 PM by Pat Pending »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
I think we may be at cross purposes here - I'm talking about off street parking, it goes without saying that on street parking should be free.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player