Author Topic: Common sense at last ?  (Read 3081 times)

Offline jonesy

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
Common sense at last ?
« on: 18 March, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Offline BGB

• Follower
Re: Common sense at last ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Mr pickles likes to spout off about lots of things.

When it comes to promoting legislation to support his ideas, then nothing happens.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2013, 08:11:52 PM »
I remember when Eric 'declared war' on the local councils back in 2010;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1327300/Eric-Pickles-declares-war-town-hall-Pravdas.html

They're in big trouble when he finally gets down off his soapbox. There is, however, a small oasis of common sense in the sea of money grabbing bastards. I had to visit Chingford late last year and noticed that all the P & D bays in the town centre had fifteen minutes free parking. My flabber was ghasted.

dr00L
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline dangerous beanz

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
That's probably a council that still runs it's own parking, rather than contracting out to the target driven money grabbers.
If there is a tourist season...how come we can't shoot them?

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
As Ewan says, Eric Pickles is very good at spouting hot air on various issues to do with Local Government.
Remember that he issued instructions to Councils that people should be allowed to record Council Meetings? We all know of at least one that's ignoring his edict on that don't we?
When it comes to Parking (in London anyway) I believe that the two Authorities that issue the most PCNs are Westminster City Council and TfL. WCC is always held up to be the Tories "flagship" Borough and TfL is controlled by the (currently) Tory Mayor, Boris Johnson. Would it be too cynical of me to suggest that as soon as Mr Pickles finds this out his "new Laws" will be quietly forgotton about?
« Last Edit: 19 March, 2013, 09:12:41 AM by DastardlyDick »

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
That's probably a council that still runs it's own parking, rather than contracting out to the target driven money grabbers.

Chingford is in the London borough of Waltham Forest and they use contractors BIG TIME! You should see the number of static cameras they have around Walthamstow, Leyton and Chingford, and they have four $camera cars to my knowledge.

They need a proper looking at, and I know just the people to do it. ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »

When it comes to promoting legislation to support his ideas, then nothing happens.

In view of the Deregulation Act, I would like to apologise for my remarks.  He has taken action against local councils.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »

In view of the Deregulation Act, I would like to apologise for my remarks.  He has taken action against local councils.

While I applaud Mr Pickles' efforts in getting the De-Regulation Bill through, I wonder if he (or indeed any other polititian) would have been as keen had a General Election not been upcoming?

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
While I applaud Mr Pickles' efforts in getting the De-Regulation Bill through, I wonder if he (or indeed any other polititian) would have been as keen had a General Election not been upcoming?

Yes - probably. In fact I suspect that if there was not an election this year the measures might well have been brought in earlier.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player