Author Topic: Mr Mustard - Parking fines issued at Barnet Hospital could be invalid  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Parking fines issued at Barnet Hospital could be invalid - because nobody got planning permission for the signs

PARKING fines issued at Barnet Hospital could be illegal – because signs warning people about the restrictions were put up without planning permission.

Parking Eye, which is responsible for running the car park in Wellhouse Lane, has been labelled “hypocritical” for not following the rules.

The company is owned by Capita while Regional Enterprise (Re), which enforces planning rules in Barnet, is 51 per cent owned by the same firm.

There are now concerns that not only does this create a serious conflict of interest, but all fines issued since the 20 signs were put up in 2014 may be unlawful.

Parking guru Derek Dishman told the Times Series: “Surely a contract based on illegality would not be upheld in court. It would be unreasonable for them to expect people to pay the fines given that.

“They tell people off for being in breach of contract by not paying to park, but then they are also breaking the law.

“There was a similar incident in St Albans but the judge wouldn’t listen to the argument over whether the parking fines were still enforceable, because there wasn’t a specific complaint.”

Last month, the Times Series exposed how Re not only has the final say on building plans submitted to Barnet Council, but is also responsible for drawing them up.

While the authority denied allegations of inappropriate behaviour, Mr Dishman, of Carnarvon Road, Barnet, fears this creates a “bias”.

He added: “They can’t possibly deal with any complaints about a Capita property, in this instance, the hospital car park.

“It’s a self-evident conflict of interest. It doesn’t matter how honourable the people who work there are. There will be institutional bias, this is inevitable.

“It wouldn’t be seen to be fair. Nobody can properly serve two masters.”

He complained to Barnet Council’s monitoring officer, Davina Fiore, three weeks ago and despite receiving a read receipt, he is yet to receive a response.

He added: “I am disappointed that three weeks after a serious matter has been raised – when I know my e-mails have been read- the council hasn’t had the common decency to tell me what their plan is.

“That’s if they’ve even got one.”

The Times Series has requested comment from Capita, Parking Eye, Barnet Hospital and Barnet Council.

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/14419278.Parking_fines_issued_at_Barnet_Hospital_could_be_invalid___because_nobody_got_permission_for_the_signs/

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player