Author Topic: Southampton Row...AGAIN !!!  (Read 2559 times)

Offline lucepac27

• Civilian
Southampton Row...AGAIN !!!
« on: 01 May, 2016, 06:15:54 PM »
We had one of our regular trips into the capital on April 9th, to see Les Miserables followed by a curry in Brick Lane. Unfortunately, I collected a PCN on my way out of town, for an alleged bus lane violation. Having done a bit of on-line research, it would seem that the Southampton Row/A40 junction camera is a notorious one, and a real money spinner for Camden Council. Well Camden Council, you've got a struggle on your hands if you think you are going to steal my hard earned.
If you expect me to abide by your rules, then you too have to abide by the rules, and as I see it, you have not. I have read, (experts correct me if I'm wrong), about a 20m concession when crossing the bus lane boundary?....well I was certainly under that. I have also read that entry into a bus lane to pass a stationary vehicle is not against the rules, as long as  your exit of the bus lane is clear, and prompt....again, I qualify, and lastly, Council signage must comply with regulations.....and yours does not. Entering a bus lane road from a side street must be clearly signed, and although you have a sign in the correct place, it has spun through 90 degrees, and is consequently no longer clear. Secondly, there should be a blue sign denoting the end of bus lane restrictions, and there is not.
Looking forward to hearing other folks experiences, particularly at this junction.....and I will keep you posted on my case......

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
Re: Southampton Row...AGAIN !!!
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »
The amazing spinning bus lane signs are all over London, Hackney and Lambeth are tops of my observations, Southwark, Greenwich and others are high up there too. It seem they mostly occur where times of enforcement vary along a bus lane so as to catch you out with say a 7-10am + 4-7pm changing to a 7am -7pm and whoops you are caught.

It begs the question exactly who is moving them and so accurately 90 degrees?

Also the further question, how can we action this?
Willing to do my bit...

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Southampton Row...AGAIN !!!
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
I would have thought that the first thing to do is to appeal to the Local Authority on the grounds that the sign was not visible at the relevant time. This will at least hold the Penalty at the discounted rate for a while whilst further research into the other points you raised is done. Camden - in the form of their contractor NSL - are notoriously reluctant to cancel PCNs, so be prepared for a fight!
Might I also suggest you go to www.pepipoo.com and search their forums for Southampton Row - it may be that if others have been "done" at this location, they have found a way of getting it cancelled.
« Last Edit: 03 May, 2016, 10:11:36 AM by DastardlyDick »

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player