Author Topic: Girl, 5, fined £150 for lemonade stand  (Read 2021 times)

Offline BGB

• Follower
Girl, 5, fined £150 for lemonade stand
« on: 21 July, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40679075

A five-year-old girl was fined £150 by a council for selling 50p cups of lemonade to festival goers.

The girl's father Andre Spicer said his daughter had set up the stall in Mile End, east London, while thousands of music fans were on their way to the Lovebox Festival at the weekend.

Professor Spicer said his daughter burst into tears and told him "I've done a bad thing."

Tower Hamlets Council has since cancelled the fine and apologised.

Professor Spicer said his daughter loved the idea of setting up a stall near their home.

"She just wanted to put a smile on people's faces. She was really proud of herself," he said.

"But after a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over from the other side of the road.

"I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up and go home.

"But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big script explaining that she did not have a trading licence.

"My daughter clung to me screaming 'daddy, daddy, I've done a bad thing.' She's five.

"We were then issued a fine of £150. We packed up and walked home."

A council spokesman said: "We are very sorry that this has happened. We expect our enforcement officers to show common sense and to use their powers sensibly.

"This clearly did not happen.

"The fine will be cancelled immediately and we have contacted Professor Spicer and his daughter to apologise."

Offline Overlord

• Follower
Re: Girl, 5, fined £150 for lemonade stand
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2017, 07:20:13 PM »
 <Swearyangry> No humanity! Computer says NO. What a bunch of brainless cretins.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
Well, dear council... You may expect your enforcement officers to show common sense, but obviously they didn't. It's not that they got it wrong and you apologised, but rather the fact that the incident happened in the first place.

We all know it should not have happened. There has to be something fundamentally wrong in either your selection process or your employee training for this disgraceful action to have taken place.

This falls below the moral standard that we live by in this country. No way is this good enough and your employees actions have caused me to feel embarrassment to call myself British.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
I can only concur with the above. The words "disgusting" and "despicable" are totally inadequate .
Apparently, Tower Hamlets call these people "THEOs" (Tower Hamlets Enforcement Officers). I wonder how many alternatives we can come up with between us?

My contrbution:- Totally Humourless Excrement Outputters

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player