Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 2994 times)

Offline The Medway Handyman

• Civilian
Hi!
« on: 12 January, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »
Hi all. Just joined up.  I'm Dave & I live in the Medway Towns, a parking nightmare of a place, especially if you run a small business.

A little story which shows what the "Parking Services" (on oxymoron) are like & why I dislike them so much;

Couple of years ago I had a two day job in an area where parking is scarce.  No problem, you can purchase a Parking Dispensation from the council which allows you to park pretty much where you like.  You have to apply in person, with lots of documentation, to the parking services office.

Like most tradesmen, I drive a van, and like most tradesmen, I carry ladders on the roof.  Said office is located in a council car park, which has height barriers on each entrance - meaning that you can't actually get a van in!  Brilliant!

You can't apply online or by phone.  Funny enough, they do have the facility to accept online payments for parking fines though!

Eventually got my dispensation, displayed it in the front window of the van, did the job & a few weeks later - got a ticket from the scamera car.

He had photographed the back of the van and hadn't bothered to get out & look in the front.  Apparently, the driver isn't allowed to get out, because of 'Health & Safety' issues.

I asked why they didn't compare the tickets with the dispensations, bearing in mind they both have the vehicle reg number on.  They apparently 'don't have the technology'!

Needless to say, I didn't pay it.

Offline Staps

• Follower
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
just shows what we are up against though doesn't it ..... oh and welcome.
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2013, 10:58:47 AM by Staps »

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
Welcome Handyman. Your case is wrong on so many levels.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/tma-part-6-cpe-statutory-guidance/betterprkstatutoryguid.pdf

Paragraph 48 of the above guidance states:
TMA Regulations give the power to authorities throughout England to issue PCNs for contraventions detected with a camera and associated recording equipment (approved device). The Secretary of State must certify any type of device used solely to detect contraventions (i.e. with no supporting CEO evidence). Once certified they may be called an ‘approved device’. The Secretary of State recommends that approved devices are used only where enforcement is difficult or sensitive and CEO enforcement is not practical. Approved devices should not be used where permits or exemptions (such as resident permits or Blue Badges) not visible to the equipment may apply.

Medway are of the opinion that central government operational and statutory guidance is basically a load of horse shit and they are better off without it. Fair dos, ignoring government guidance costs them nothing. Ignoring NoToMob guidance, on the other hand, is a very expensive mistake.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Monkey Girl

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
Hi ya Dave, and welcome....I have seen you out in your van  ;D

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
Welcome Handyman. Your case is wrong on so many levels.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/tma-part-6-cpe-statutory-guidance/betterprkstatutoryguid.pdf

Paragraph 48 of the above guidance states:
TMA Regulations give the power to authorities throughout England to issue PCNs for contraventions detected with a camera and associated recording equipment (approved device). The Secretary of State must certify any type of device used solely to detect contraventions (i.e. with no supporting CEO evidence). Once certified they may be called an ‘approved device’. The Secretary of State recommends that approved devices are used only where enforcement is difficult or sensitive and CEO enforcement is not practical. Approved devices should not be used where permits or exemptions (such as resident permits or Blue Badges) not visible to the equipment may apply.

Medway are of the opinion that central government operational and statutory guidance is basically a load of horse shit and they are better off without it. Fair dos, ignoring government guidance costs them nothing. Ignoring NoToMob guidance, on the other hand, is a very expensive mistake.

Hello and welcome Dave.

Further to Ewan's comments, you might want to check out my advice to KP on the thread below. Medway council have been told by an adjudicator that they cannot use the cars the way they do, but their arrogance sees them ignoring the adjudicators AND the Secretary of State.

http://notomob.co.uk/discussions/index.php/topic,2589.0.html
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player