Author Topic: Ripe for further investigation and complaint  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Darcus

• Follower
Ripe for further investigation and complaint
« on: 15 April, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Last week I went with a friend to look at a flat he was thinking of moving into in Camden Town. It was about 9pm on Sunday night and we saw NSL CEO's issuing tickets to vehicle parked on single yellow lines and noticed there were no parking info plates anywhere. The pickings were rich for them with loads of vehicles parked on single lines. When challenged the CEO's stated it was a Controlled Parking Zone as is  the whole of Camden Borough. Fair enough we thought, until I checked out the details at Camden Council's site:

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/transport-and-streets/parking/where-to-park/controlled-parking-zones/

It turns out they have a total of 33 separate CPZ in the borough! Just driving up the High Street can take you through 3 different CPZ's! I think this system is clearly designed to confuse drivers to raise revenue and I suspect it plays on the fact that you would have to spend more time looking for signs than actually watching the road. I've certainly seen other areas where CPZ signs are dangerously placed, requiring drivers to take their eyes off the road when entering or turning into roads. I can't imagine how many CPZ signs placed in Camden are a dangerous hazard which drivers do not have sufficient opportunity to read without causing danger to other road users and pedestrians.

I shall be investigating this matter further when I finally get my car back from Camden, but it is clearly a ridiculously complex system which Camden Council are benefiting from. It will be very interesting to see how the signage works in reality when driving in the borough.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Ripe for further investigation and complaint
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »
As far as I know, this is the leading judgment on this issue.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2010/1161.html

Unless your friend can prove that he/she did not pass a CPZ sign, I fear your mate may be screwed. :(
« Last Edit: 15 April, 2012, 09:43:08 PM by The Bald Eagle »
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Darcus

• Follower
Re: Ripe for further investigation and complaint
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Oh no, he didn't get done, it's just that we realised how confusing it all was. I certainly think there is a case for looking at each entrance to each different CPZ to see if the signage is clearly visible. I've certainly noticed cases where it is dangerous to view them, one example where the CPZ sign is placed at a road junction and pedestrian crossing, where a driver will be watching out for traffic turning on to the main road and people crossing. The expectation that the driver should also be able to read and comprehend the sign at the same time would be ludicrous.

Having 33 different CPZ is clearly very confusing and if you miss a sign it would be almost impossible to gather whether or not you were able to park at a given location, requiring you to either park the vehicle and go looking for it only to find you have illegally parked and risk getting a PCN, or to drive around again, this time focusing your attention on the side of the road as opposed to on it. In Camden this is particularly dangerous as it is home to the largest open air market in Europe where pedestrians routinely walk in the road and cross where ever they wish to avoid the large crowds on the pavement.

I suspect most people either see one sign and believe it covers the whole area, not realising they may have passed through at least one more CPZ. Certainly most drivers will be focusing on not running pedestrians over or crashing than scouring every inch of roadside for a change of CPZ conditions.

Anyways it is something I might look at at a later time.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player